Disregard previous question. Decided to drill hole in roof....maybe

If you need help or advice on setting up a mobile, this forum is the perfect place to ask.
Guardsman
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Antenna: Wilson 1000
Radio: Ranger RCI 2970N4

Disregard previous question. Decided to drill hole in roof....maybe

Post by Guardsman »

Earlier I asked about grounding an antenna connected to a park mount from Jerry on the trunk of my 2013 accord. I have destroyed that mount trying to get ground wires attached. The only option I see you left is to drill a hole and mount a puck on the roof. Can I do this if I have both a moon window and a Sirius XM antenna also on the roof? If I can do it, what would I ground to first for an antenna coming down from the center of my roof? Sorry for so many questions today. I'm trying to get a good antenna and coax set up so I can upgrade to a higher power radio. I appreciate everyone's help.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Re: Disregard previous question. Decided to drill hole in roof....maybe

Post by jessejamesdallas »

If you drill a hole for something like a puck mount, or gum-drop type mount, you don't need to run a ground wire to anything...The mount will ground to the roof when installed...

Just be sure to remove the headliner first to see what's under there before randomly drilling a hole...
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Guardsman
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by Guardsman »

Thank you for the reply JesseJamesDallas. Is there a reason that would be true for the roof and not for the trunk lid? I am so lost right now.

jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

Some trunk lids are not metal, but rather a plastic composite stuff...Those you would need a ground strap... another problem with some trunk lids that are metal, is because of the way the trunks hinges are put on the lid has a poor ground...

Instead of running a ground off the mount, if it were me I would attach flat ground braid to each corner of the lid using self tapping screws, then the other end of the braid to the support pillers (or body) to get a better ground for the lid...

Another problem with trunk-lid mounts is if it has set screws that hold it to the lid, you would need to scrap off the paint where those set screws hit...Otherwise the paint can insulate the mount from getting a good ground.

[ Post made via Samsung Galaxy S5 Active ] Image
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

Another thing with the antenna mount to consider, is where the antenna screws in...that part should NOT be grounded... There's allot of different mounts, most will have a plastic washer that is used between the top part of the mount and the metal surface to keep from grounding the antenna out when screwed on...

[ Post made via Samsung Galaxy S5 Active ] Image
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

So how did things turn out?

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Guardsman
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by Guardsman »

Well, one year later I started from scratch. Drilled a hole in the roof for a Wilson 1000 antenna connected to a Ranger 2970N4. Setup is working great. No issues with grounding or standing wave. Thanks for everyone's replies!
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 »

I hole mount everything. Don’t like mags or trunklip mounts although I am forced to use at least one trunklip mount Due to HF size. I traded my 16 Nissan in last March which had two holes drilled didn’t effect the the trade In whatsoever. As soon as I got my new car home I drilled two more holes.

President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

silvereagle1 wrote: July 6th, 2018, 10:27 am I hole mount everything. Don’t like mags or trunklip mounts although I am forced to use at least one trunklip mount Due to HF size. I traded my 16 Nissan in last March which had two holes drilled didn’t effect the the trade In whatsoever. As soon as I got my new car home I drilled two more holes.

That was what I was told by the dealer when I traded in my Dodge Ram pickup, he said they are going to offer you the bottom line anyway.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 »

When I went I wasn’t looking to trade. I was there for an oil change. Was curious about the newer model with automatic trans. the salesman looked my car over and said everything looks good. I asked him what about my antennas where I drilled holes. He said that’s not an issue. Walked out with the newer model and like you said. You’re getting what they’re gonna give anyway. I’m a big believer in drilling holes. Mag mounts only scratch the paint. Metal particles get under magnets and destroy paint over time. This car I have now had ten miles on it when I drilled my first two holes. I didn’t blink an eye doing it. Have the Larsen antenna hole drilled. The sirio hole drilled and the diamond HF 𝐀𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐚 Mount trunklip Mounted due to height and weight issues.

President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee
Russ
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Handle: WR2005
Antenna: Golden Rod 45
Radio: rci 2970dx

Post by Russ »

Drill it and you will never regret it!!!
Guardsman
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by Guardsman »

I will never hesitate to drill a hole again. I've wasted tons of time and money trying to get a good setup without drilling and it just isn't worth it. From now one every new car will have a hole drilled immediately. In fact, I might do it while I'm on the test drive then see if I can negotiate a lower price! :lol: :lol: