HELP install mobile on '09 Dodge Charger

If you need help or advice on setting up a mobile, this forum is the perfect place to ask.
WildGoose73
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

HELP install mobile on '09 Dodge Charger

Post by WildGoose73 »

Hi all. Need a little help and any input/advise youse got. Has anyone here installed a unit in a '09 Dodge Charger SRT8 or of similar generation with stock Navi in place? There is a "slim" empty slot between AC/Heat controls and heated seats/ashtray.

Would love to see pics and or advise on what to do. Worse case scenario would be to install on the side. I cant upload any pics or I would show an example of the console with the slot.
Thanks all!
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: HELP install mobile on '09 Dodge Charger

Post by MDYoungblood »

Okay,, adding pics will come in time so don't worry about that.
There are more and more small din size radios on the market then ever before, some even have a decent power output, (talking 10m conversions). Take some measurements, depth, height, and width, look through the sponsors and see if there is a radio that will fit with just some minor trimming. Plus if ham radio is in your future look at those mobile radios, most have a detachable face and can be mounted on a goose neck, drink holder mount, or in front of the slot you were talking about.
Have you figured out which antenna to use?

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
WildGoose73
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Post by WildGoose73 »

Thanks for getting back to me so fast!

I wont go for a slimmer/smaller radio. I know, lol..Im oldschool and set in my ways. I have it already picked out...actually a few of them. Im a huge Cobra fan from the 70's and 80's, so Ive picked out a few, and of course a Connex 3300 is on my short list too. To each his own, but Im not into these new flashy multi colored radios. I have a few other cars to put them in also, a '71 Buick GS and a couple of 70's Chrysler C Bodies and those should be no problem to install. As far as the Charger...I might have to "cut" a bit, thats why I wanted to see if others have made similar installs.

You mentioned antennas. Yes, Ive picked it out for the Charger, not sure about the others. I was gonna go with a magnet base for the trunk (not sure which one, any help would be appreciated), with quick disconnects using a 3' or 4' firestik and a KL 300p amp under the passenger seat. This setup honestly sounds good for any of my cars....but if you or anyone here thats obviously got more experience than me can advise any better...I'll listen to it. :)

Thanks,
Goose
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Old school, I'm the same way, I'm not into noise toys either. I'd check the trunk to see if it is metal, try any magnet on it, some were composite material. I would go with a trunk mount, don't care much for magnets but it will work, an antenna 4ft or longer I would recommend, shorter just limits tuning and range. Look at the Uniden 980 if you like SSB or the 880 for just AM, both will work well with that little amp, both are not overly big in size and have a decent sound, the display lights can be changed to suit the color of he interior but you said that didn't matter.

Off the topic, as for Mopar,, I have always been a Chrysler, Plymouth, and Dodge fan, had at one time 7 e-body Plymouth Cuda's, of different years, my pride and joy was my avatar for years, a 1971 Cuda Hemi 4sp convertible, and I had a 1966 Chrysler Imperial 4 door with rear suicide doors, only were 20 custom made. Currently own a 04 Dodge Ram and 2 Jeep Wranglers.

3's

Greg

WildGoose73
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Post by WildGoose73 »

MDYoungblood wrote:Old school, I'm the same way, I'm not into noise toys either. I'd check the trunk to see if it is metal, try any magnet on it, some were composite material. I would go with a trunk mount, don't care much for magnets but it will work, an antenna 4ft or longer I would recommend, shorter just limits tuning and range. Look at the Uniden 980 if you like SSB or the 880 for just AM, both will work well with that little amp, both are not overly big in size and have a decent sound, the display lights can be changed to suit the color of he interior but you said that didn't matter.

Off the topic, as for Mopar,, I have always been a Chrysler, Plymouth, and Dodge fan, had at one time 7 e-body Plymouth Cuda's, of different years, my pride and joy was my avatar for years, a 1971 Cuda Hemi 4sp convertible, and I had a 1966 Chrysler Imperial 4 door with rear suicide doors, only were 20 custom made. Currently own a 04 Dodge Ram and 2 Jeep Wranglers.

3's

Greg

'71 Cuda is smokin!! became a fan of the 'Cudas because of Phantasm....kids today have no clue about that, lol. I like the Mopars, but I like em all. Im a GM guy, BMW, European car, Mopar guy. I dont like **Censored** ricers and I dont like American made Fords..except the Crown Vics and Gran Marq's.
yea, I was debating 3' or 4', but your probably right. going with 4' would be alot better, and its not like its permanent. disconnect and hide away in trunk.

Not a fan of the "Cobras" Im assuming? lol
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

LOL,, I've been playing with radios since the mid 60's and never ever owned a Cobra, have worked on a couple though. I see Cobra discontinued the 148 models, that would have been the only Cobra I would possibly own, guess they are going to do a make over and bring out something new looking like the 29lx's.
I only owned one Ford (pickup)and one GMC (van) in my lifetime, both were bought for my dad to drive and if I ever win the lottery I'm getting a loaded Challenger for me to play with.

3's

Greg

WildGoose73
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Post by WildGoose73 »

For sure Challengers are Lotto money type of cars. My fav all time Mopar is a '70 Coronet/Super Bee with the 2 scoops on the hood and the goggle headlights, one year only car. but even in crap condition...worth buku bucks! Barrett Jackson has done worse for the classic car collector hobby than anyone else. ridiculous prices!
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Sold my 71' at Barrett Jackson on the Arizona show, had a broker handle it, that car paid off a lot of bills. Sold the Imperial the year before, both cars were picked up at my garage and trucked out there for free, got more than I wanted for both too. If you have a rare rod to sell a broker is the only way to go.

3's

Greg

silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 »

WildGoose73 wrote:Hi all. Need a little help and any input/advise youse got. Has anyone here installed a unit in a '09 Dodge Charger SRT8 or of similar generation with stock Navi in place? There is a "slim" empty slot between AC/Heat controls and heated seats/ashtray.

Would love to see pics and or advise on what to do. Worse case scenario would be to install on the side. I cant upload any pics or I would show an example of the console with the slot.
Thanks all!
I had a 2008 Dodge Caliber for a few years. I put all of my radios and accessories on a radio rack and mounted the rack to a shelving board and placed it in the passenger side floor board using quick connects. I have pictures on here somewhere but I have no idea what topic I listed them under. Search gamber Johnson 212 and one of my topics may pop up with pictures on my dodge floorboard installation.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee
WildGoose73
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Post by WildGoose73 »

silvereagle1 wrote:
WildGoose73 wrote:Hi all. Need a little help and any input/advise youse got. Has anyone here installed a unit in a '09 Dodge Charger SRT8 or of similar generation with stock Navi in place? There is a "slim" empty slot between AC/Heat controls and heated seats/ashtray.

Thanks all!
I had a 2008 Dodge Caliber for a few years. I put all of my radios and accessories on a radio rack and mounted the rack to a shelving board and placed it in the passenger side floor board using quick connects. I have pictures on here somewhere but I have no idea what topic I listed them under. Search gamber Johnson 212 and one of my topics may pop up with pictures on my dodge floorboard installation.

Thanks Silvereagle for your awesome input. I found that 2 radio rack yesterday after a bit of searching, but wasnt "sold on it". I only want one radio in the car, that would leave one unsightly slot open. I also rather not put my linear amp on it either, preferring to leave that under passenger seat. Third...thats quite a piece of hardware in the front passenger side, and thinking that wouldnt be too comfortable for passenger(s) or my wife, LOL. You mentioned you put quick disconnects on it. do you mean when passenger rides, you can remove temporairly? that would be something to mull over. I think my best best in this scenario would be to take it to a pro installer and see what they say can be done between the space of the temp controls and ash tray/heated seat buttons. some cutting is nessessary, but if done neatly and done right...for sure the Cobra I ordered will fit right in. In yourt pics you also showed a setup of different stand...i like that one, but not easy to glance over , etc..to radio.
I appreciate so much and thank you for your input and help!,
Goose