Pills

This is the forum for asking questions about linear amplifiers or power supplies.
BigBopper

Pills

Post by BigBopper »

Many questions about pills, they are the transistor in an amp, looks like an aspirin, look at the picture you'll see a white transistor"PILL"(1446)
kl200.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stickman

Post by stickman »

NICE PICTURE BIGBOPPER! RM ITALY'S ARE FINE LITTLE AMPS! FOR THE MONEY THEY ARE TO BEAT
STICKMAN
lonewolf
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Texas star linear

Post by lonewolf »

What kinda pills are in the texas star dx1200 and how many.
Ind Bellybutton

Post by Ind Bellybutton »

looks like 8x2SC2290's...
dilligaf
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by dilligaf »

is it possible to change this pill for a bigger one?????????
SMOK-N-GUN 211
Donor
Donor

Post by SMOK-N-GUN 211 »

I was told By a tech YES!
BigBopper

Post by BigBopper »

yea it can be done, but there other items that have to be changed in the amp also
BtyMONSTER

Post by BtyMONSTER »

when i was a teen there was a guy in town that put a 460 engine in a pinto and drove from the back seat . that lil thing would fly . many things are possible . as far as being practical , cost effective or worth the trouble .........? its like beauty.......its in the eye of the beholder .
BIOHARZARD

Post by BIOHARZARD »

Hello and for your question about your DX1200 Texas Star ?
I would have to say this ..
Yes it CAN be done...
Is it worth the money for the few extra watts you are going to get ?? NO
The whole amp has to be completly reconfigured basically and in my opinion its not worth it...
It would be cheaper to just sell your amp as is and get a DX1600 and you will save alot of money
Just my 2 cents 8)

BIOHAZARD
North Texas Mudduck
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by North Texas Mudduck »

BOOTYMONSTER wrote:when i was a teen there was a guy in town that put a 460 engine in a pinto and drove from the back seat . that lil thing would fly . many things are possible . as far as being practical , cost effective or worth the trouble .........? its like beauty.......its in the eye of the beholder .
know a guy across town took a 460 mounted on a ford courier frame then set a Volkswagen body on top looked just like a Volkswagen but didn't run like a Volkswagen.
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone
caveman73
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by caveman73 »

So that's what a pill is. I have been wondering what you guys are talking about. I am kinda new to cbs and have been reading forums and learning all I can about cbs. I also see people talking about amps called a 2 pill, 4 pill and so on, my question is in that picture is that consider a 1 pill. What is that pill for? Happy Thanksgiving!
Foxhunter
Donor
Donor
Radio: Fisher-Price

Post by Foxhunter »

Glad they cleared that up, all that talk of "pills"----it had to have you wondering I guess. Transistors are solid-state "devices" similar in some ways to diodes. Transistors make good amplifiers and they provide the amp "gain" that's needed. There are many many types of transistors each with different specifications and uses. Most of the amps being talked about here on the forum are usually of the solid-state (SS) type amplifiers. An alternative to these are the "tube-type" which use vacuum tubes.

As usual I hope anything I posted may've helped
Slvbeard
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: Ezdropper

Post by Slvbeard »

So how do you tell if they are bad or "blown"?
MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Slvbeard wrote:So how do you tell if they are bad or "blown"?
Some times they will have a brown spot on them like a burn.
Pillpopper
Donor
Donor

Post by Pillpopper »

Slvbeard wrote:So how do you tell if they are bad or "blown"?
Most of the time you wont see anything on the pill, but if your lucky you will see a burnt 10ohm resistor next to the blown pill. Double check the pill just make sure it is bad, (these things aren't cheap). You will have to take the pill completely out and test it like you would a diode. If you get all readings on all prongs minus only one=bad, no reading= toasted.

Pillpopper
Runt
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: RCI690F150

Post by Runt »

What's this "Mosfet" final I'm hearing about? Is this the new rage??
MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Runt wrote:What's this "Mosfet" final I'm hearing about? Is this the new rage??
Not really the rage. The 2030 is the "drop in1969 and 2312 finals as they are being phased out and it is a mosfet rather than a transistor.

I have heard of people getting big numbers out of them.
MoJo

Post by MoJo »

askificare wrote:
Runt wrote:What's this "Mosfet" final I'm hearing about? Is this the new rage??
Not really the rage. The 2030 is the "drop in replacement" for the 1969 and 2312 finals as they are being phased out and it is a mosfet rather than a transistor.

I have heard of people getting big numbers out of them.
There fixed it.
Runt
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: RCI690F150

Post by Runt »

Ok, My RCI 6900F150 has 1ea. C2166 and 1ea. C2312. I would gather that these ARE NOT mosfet, but finals that are being replaced in newer models?

If this is so, is it worth the extra $$$ to have mine replaced, if it is even possible?

Thanks
zman350
Donor
Donor

Post by zman350 »

the 520 and 2030 are not just drop in and get more power,actually you will get less,unless u get the bias drivers for them and do some more modifications.
Fletch57
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Handle: Hollywood
Antenna: JoGunn Hillbilly
Radio: Ranger RCI 2995 DX

Re: Pills

Post by Fletch57 »

Can anyone tell me what these pills are, and give me some information on them....like output of watts and amp draw?

I cannot find any information about these pills on the internet, and I am not familiar with and I do not know how to read the numbers printed on them. I do know that the small emblem at the top of the pill that looks like an "M" is the Motorola symbol. I just want to know what I have, there are two pills in this amp. It is a Siltronix model SLM-100.

Please help!

Thanks.
Fletch
909 wis

Post by 909 wis »

before buying a amp, if your not familiiar with them. buy from a cb shop you trust or recommended. before I buy a use amp I open it up and look to see if anything looks burnt or blown, another thing you can do is smell the amp. if it smells like burnt toast from a week ago chances are it's fried. just my suggestions.
Fletch57
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by Fletch57 »

909 wis wrote:before buying a amp, if your not familiiar with them. buy from a cb shop you trust or recommended. before I buy a use amp I open it up and look to see if anything looks burnt or blown, another thing you can do is smell the amp. if it smells like burnt toast from a week ago chances are it's fried. just my suggestions.

Hi, thanks for the information. I also do the same thing before purchasing an amp, making sure it's ok!

I'm using the amp, it works great! I'm just curious and want to know the technical specifications regarding the transistors/pills.

Click the pictures to enlarge them.
Fletch57
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by Fletch57 »

Does anyone in this forum know or have any information about these pills?
Fletch57
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by Fletch57 »

Just a little more information about these pills.

I am getting about 150 watts output from the amp with a 4 watt input.

It will swing over 200 watts.

I hope someone will see the pictures and can lead me to more information about them.