Tube or Solid state ?

This is the forum for asking questions about linear amplifiers or power supplies.
295 antenna
Handle: 2950 or 295
Antenna: patriot, Discone
Radio: Stryker 955 , Browning Mark iv

Tube or Solid state ?

Post by 295 antenna »

Well its opinion time again. What is better to run with a tube radio ? A tube linear or a solid state. Or is it just your personal preference ?
Keep smiling ...It makes people wonder what your up too !

American eagle SSB group : AE1577

TWRC - The world radio group : WR2950

world wide sidebanders - WWS2950
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Tube or Solid state ?

Post by MDYoungblood »

"Tube" radio into a "Tube" amp is the only way to go, nothing like the glow of a set of 572B tubes through a grid case, unless maybe it's a 3cx1500A7.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
jon6667
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: dipole
Radio: icom 7300

Post by jon6667 »

tubes sound better than transistors.
295 antenna
Handle: 2950 or 295
Antenna: patriot, Discone
Radio: Stryker 955 , Browning Mark iv

Post by 295 antenna »

I have heard the same about sound also but with today's new radios i dont believe that is true, I do believe tubes are more forgiving in regards to driving them hard .I do like the old time sound of tube radio though. Kind of like MP3 and Vinyl
Keep smiling ...It makes people wonder what your up too !

American eagle SSB group : AE1577

TWRC - The world radio group : WR2950

world wide sidebanders - WWS2950
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

I run tube amps with my cobra 2000 and get nothing but good reports...even on SSB...I have a 1x3 Kicker 500 (which is the same as the old Firebird 500, just different paint job on it) and a Palomar 300A 2x4...nothing special with either, but good reports.

I run a XForce 1x4 base amp with my 2980wx, and it's fine on AM, but not so much on SSB, so if I'm going to get on SSB, i warm up the cobra and the glass.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
KP68
Donor
Donor
Handle: KP68
Antenna: Maco M105C Mr Coily 80meter sky loop
Radio: Apache Labs ANAN 7000DLE MKii

Post by KP68 »

A misalingned radio into any type amp will sound awful, so it all starts with a radio that’s tuned and set up correctly. A properly designed transistor amp run within specs will sound great and same with tube type. Sticking with properly designed; at higher output levels for me tube type is the way to go. I see the prices of some large mobile class C amps getting real close to the price of a nice 3CX3000A7, which is a phenomenal amp! And lastly and this will show my age, I’ve always been fascinated with tubes!
De_Wildfire
Donor
Donor
Handle: De_Wildfire
Antenna: Imax 2000. Hex Beam, G5RV dipole, Jpole(UHF/VHF) Austin Suburban Tri Band (UHF/VHF)
Radio: Washington, Tram D201, Tram D64, Robyn 520D, Cobra 139XLR, Elecraft K3S, Kenwood 590S, Yaesu FTM 400DR, Alinco DR-235, ADI-146

Post by De_Wildfire »

I like my tube amp. I get superb audio reports and it's very clean. Also, it's very forgiving and seriously, mistakes do happen especially when running a special even station with all the pileups and changing bands like a jack rabbit. I know real fast when this amp is accidentally over driven because the grid protection circuit will cut off the transmit. Make sure this is installed! Being on wrong antennas is another story too. 80 percent of the time I run 100w without the amp but there are times when I need to use it and I will by accident forget to cut the radio back to 50w because, " I'm in a hurry" to work as many stations before the upper bands go dead. All an amp really does is buy you a little time before mother nature has her way. There's a lot going on when operating a tube amp vs solid state. Also tubes are very expensive and the amplifier has a lot of weight which means more $$$$ to ship out and get it fixed unless you know someone local or fix it yourself. I am an old school tube amp person. Been very happy with the amp.