Midnight Special Linear

This is the forum for asking questions about linear amplifiers or power supplies.
Mtn Lynx
Donor
Donor
Handle: Lightning
Call Sign: WR223
Antenna: A99/Wire dipole
Radio: Anytone AT 6666/Bearcat 980SSB

Midnight Special Linear

Post by Mtn Lynx »

Anyone using one of these amps? I'm reading about these in 500 watts. Is it worth buying one? Just got a Palomar 225 amp. I may need to amp up. How much is too much when it comes to wattage? I've been reading that some dudes are perfectly happy skipping barefoot. I may just be too anxious to get a confirmed contact. :bounce:
\m/ >.< \m/
Anytone AT 6666
Galaxy DX 959
Galaxy DX 2517
Cobra 148 GTL
1/2 wave Dipole
Solarcon A99
TWRC Member: WR223
PA629

Re: Midnight Special Linear

Post by PA629 »

It takes four times your output power to make an S-unit difference on the receiving end, so you'd be looking at roughly 1/2 an S-unit signal increase with a MS. Your first 200W is your best bang for the buck, so unless you're willing to step up to an 8-pill with all the associated system upgrades required, stick with your 2-pill Palomar. You'd be much further ahead spending your money on an antenna upgrade to something directional, if you're running the amp as a base unit. JMHO.
rrtdave
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Handle: 301-Wyoming mobile
Call Sign: N7WOT
Antenna: Predator 10K
Radio: rci 2970N2 and RCI 99N2

Post by rrtdave »

Well,

My 2-cents. Use what you need. I have an OEM alternator in my Ford explorer, no extra batteries and no problems getting a signal to the NE or NW corner, CA, Georgia, the Carolina's IF there is skip available. Galaxy 979 radio with X-Force Midnight Special 700 and Predator 10k antenna.

301 Wyoming
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

mtn lynx should be on a base with a A99 antenna unless he has changed, the A99 is a pretty good antenna but a beam is far better. do not give up you can some times hear others due to the skip movement but they will not be able to hear you. I have seen times I would call back all day and never get some one. so went to a moonraker 4 and a tower and still had the same problem at times. just not as often. you can change things all day long but in the end a 4 watt radio and a antenna like you are using will get you as many reply's as a beam. right now I am using a maco 5/8 and have a A99 as a backup. so just be patient with what you have . do not just keep buying thinking you will have better luck. for years guy's have said CB stands for constant buying.
Mtn Lynx
Donor
Donor
Handle: Lightning
Call Sign: WR223
Antenna: A99/Wire dipole
Radio: Anytone AT 6666/Bearcat 980SSB

Post by Mtn Lynx »

thanks guys, some one else won the auction anyways.
\m/ >.< \m/
Anytone AT 6666
Galaxy DX 959
Galaxy DX 2517
Cobra 148 GTL
1/2 wave Dipole
Solarcon A99
TWRC Member: WR223