Regulated variable voltage 90, 100, 150amp power supplies

This is the forum for asking questions about linear amplifiers or power supplies.
TrblShooter

Regulated variable voltage 90, 100, 150amp power supplies

Post by TrblShooter »

Whats going on guys, just wanted to know what power supplies you recommend for the house, looking for at least 90amps or larger... How good are the xforce regulated variable voltage supplies? I was looking at them and they seem nice.. Are they high quality? I also saw from I want to buy a quality supply, is there any you recommend? Thanks....
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Regulated variable voltage 90, 100, 150amp power supplie

Post by MDYoungblood »

Check out Mega Watt or the Mean Well websites at their power supply, most of the switching supplies can be daisy chained fairly easy to make a large supply.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
drdx
Donor
Donor
Handle: dollar-98
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many-

Post by drdx »

Just curious, what do you plan to run with it? I'd love to have a large supply if I worked on a lot of high draw stuff but at some point, for a base, if it is just to run a single big amp, it is easier and way cleaner to run a nice higher than cb quality hf amp. Still, how sweet would a nice clean sweet 16 work at home?

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
TrblShooter

Post by TrblShooter »

drdx wrote:Just curious, what do you plan to run with it? I'd love to have a large supply if I worked on a lot of high draw stuff but at some point, for a base, if it is just to run a single big amp, it is easier and way cleaner to run a nice higher than cb quality hf amp. Still, how sweet would a nice clean sweet 16 work at home?

-drdx
Honestly I do not know what I plan on doing yet.. I am in the process of setting up the mobile first, not sure if I wanted to setup a base as well.. Just wanted to put a feeler out there to see what quality supplies that were recommended.. I would also like a nice to supply to bench also.. I am thinking of setting up a test bench as well.. Just throwing out there what I would like to do, whether I do it or not is a different story.. I appreciate the input guys... Thanks
drdx
Donor
Donor
Handle: dollar-98
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many-

Post by drdx »

Thanks for bringing this up and thanks mdy for posting those brands. I'm getting shack makeover fever and those mean well and mega ones would make a slick setup if you incorporated a power distribution deal like the mfj one or even a fabricated one. Hey, another thought, mfj makes some neat little switching supplies that have a meter and a lighter plug on them as well as a variable. I have had a few in my trading and they worked well for some temporary vacation stations I did.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

Old server power supplies are a good bang for your buck when you need high amperage. I have 250 amps at my bench that cost around $80. I bought 2 50 amp units for $9 each not long ago.

Most of these have a load share pin so you can parallel as many as you like and will run on 120 or 240 volts. Buying a nice case for them will double the price but still a good deal. I was looking through a ham catalog recently and a 100 amp unit was over $500.
TrblShooter

Post by TrblShooter »

Ok based on the suggestions from a few of you and from MDY I am leaning towards the ASTRON VS-70M.. Now my next question is, what else do I need for benching radios and amplifiers? What dummy load do you guys recommend and whatever else I would need. I never had a bench station for my stuff and it sounds like it would be fun to do. Thanks for everyone's help, I really appreciate it..
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Click on this to give you an idea what a well setup bench should look like
https://postimg.org/image/nxyvc5xxr/

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
TrblShooter

Post by TrblShooter »

MDYoungblood wrote:Click on this to give you an idea what a well setup bench should look like
https://postimg.org/image/nxyvc5xxr/

3's

Greg

Thanks MDY much appreciated... :cheers:
-=PEAKABOO=-
Donor
Donor
Handle: PEAKABOO

Post by -=PEAKABOO=- »

Ditto on the server supplies.
"Trying not to choke on that 10 ohm smoke"