Fatboy 5 pill

This is the forum for asking questions about linear amplifiers or power supplies.
smoke blower
Donor
Donor
Handle: East coast broadcaster
Radio: Cobra 2000

Fatboy 5 pill

Post by smoke blower »

I just acquired a new style Fatboy 5 pill amp the transistors are 2879 bit they aren't Toshiba there Ic or something like that does anyone know anything about them or how many watts they put out
Crusher
Donor
Donor
Handle: Crusher
Radio: Cobra 29

Re: Fatboy 5 pill

Post by Crusher »

Are they DEI or PP100?
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Got a new company in Shaanxi, China making them now, High or HJ, pills have a "H" in cursive at the top, model, and manufacture date but no batch numbers, are they any good, you tell me.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

MDYoungblood wrote:Got a new company in Shaanxi, China making them now, High or HJ, pills have a "H" in cursive at the top, model, and manufacture date but no batch numbers, are they any good, you tell me.

3's

Greg
Thise have been around for a while. A couple of knowledgeable guys gave them a shot and said they were duds.
smoke blower
Donor
Donor

Post by smoke blower »

I swear I can say for sure but it was dei I think but what I am trying to find out do they put out equal wattage as the older ones

-- Sunday, 15 November 2015, 19:53 PM --

Yes there DEI 2879s
Crusher
Donor
Donor

Post by Crusher »

543, I believe you are referring to HG Semi. I have had very bad luck with them in past.

Smoke Blower, if they are DEI 2879's. They will work fine. Just keep DK/ carrier low and don't put over 14v into it. It will do ok, but don't drive the snot out of it. Otherwise you will smell smoke.
smoke blower
Donor
Donor

Post by smoke blower »

OK thanks for the info I just was wondering how good it was with the new DEI transistors
Crusher
Donor
Donor

Post by Crusher »

It'll do alright. But it won't compete with same box that has Toshibas in it
smoke blower
Donor
Donor

Post by smoke blower »

I see thanks for the info
Deleted User 14541

Crusher wrote:543, I believe you are referring to HG Semi. I have had very bad luck with them in past.
Those are the ones. I believe it was you and L1 that said they were no bueno but I couldn't remember for sure. I just heeded the warning.
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Fatboy 5 pill

Post by 1206FL »

Listen to both Crusher and 543. They know a lot about amps. If it's a 1 driving 4, use single final radio like a uniden 880 or cobra 29. Keep the dead key at about 75-100 watts max out of the amp and the pep to 400 watts and it will do fine. Or should do fine. Not used a Fatboy amp yet but they are all built on the same design. Guess it's each techs knowledge and understanding that make it worth crap or not. Keep it clean and mean!! Have fun with it.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

I
543FtWorth wrote:
MDYoungblood wrote:Got a new company in Shaanxi, China making them now, High or HJ, pills have a "H" in cursive at the top, model, and manufacture date but no batch numbers, are they any good, you tell me.

3's

Greg
Those have been around for a while. A couple of knowledgeable guys gave them a shot and said they were duds.
I looked up High aka HJ Electronics, they've been in business for 4 years, main products are cellular and microwave components, couldn't find anything on the transistors (spec sheet reads like toshiba) other than their sold in 1000 unit sets, I didn't see anything other than 2879's, no 2290's.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
smoke blower
Donor
Donor

Post by smoke blower »

I have a davemade 5 pill in my truck and on 13v I see like 850 peak watts out of it that is 1,2290 driving 4, 2879 so If I could at least see 650 to 700 out of the Fatboy that would be great it has 1, 2879 driving 4,2879
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

If you are seeing 850 watts out of a 4 pill you are over driving it a bit. Yes the Dave made can handle it but it is taxing on the amp itself. Keep the power to about 4-500 watts pep and it will sound the same on the receiving end and the amp will last a lot longer. From 500 watts you'd have to jump to 2000 watts to make a 1 s-unit increase on the receiving station. And don't think you're going to see the same numbers with he DEI pills vs the Toshiba's. Keep that fat boy amp at about 4-500 watts max and it will work fine. The DEI transistors are not as rugged as the Toshiba's and can't be pushed like the Toshiba's were!! JMHO. Keep it clean and mean. Loaf your amp along at about 400 watts, 75-100 watt carrier max. That is how I would run the Fatboy. Again, JMO. Good day.
Crusher
Donor
Donor

Post by Crusher »

The DEI transistors are no longer made. Just like the Toshibas, they are no longer made ($70) each now. Loaf it and it should last a long time. XForce has a PP100 that is suppose to be nearly as good as the DEI or Toshiba. But I haven't done much testing with. I have seen good and bad results with. So be easy on the amp and it will last. Otherwise it may cost a small fortune to re pill amp.

-- November 16 2015 --
543FtWorth wrote:
Crusher wrote:543, I believe you are referring to HG Semi. I have had very bad luck with them in past.
Those are the ones. I believe it was you and L1 that said they were no bueno but I couldn't remember for sure. I just heeded the warning.
Yes L1 and myself tried them with bad results. At least mine keyed 2-3 times. L1 couldn't even get anything out of them. Danny 123 has tried as well with similar results. Junk. Don't waste your money. I sent them an email and stated as much. The response was how did you use them. I explained circuitry and never got a. Response after that.
drdx
Donor
Donor
Handle: dollar-98
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many-

Post by drdx »

Well said. If you want a real dose of reality throw in a decent low pass filter in before the amp. That will give you a better picture of what is really going on in the wattage department. I did that on a setup years ago and it cleaned up my readings. It cut them in half but who wants to be lied to and what good is it to ram a bunch of harmonics into an amp? It also rid me of exports. If you like releasing smoke then keep on mashing 100w transistors to crazy high 200w+++on the meter output readings.

We have covered this topic numerous times. Check out the fusing on a typical amp. I can't tell you how many times that the claimed output on a meter compared to the fuse(s) in line that by some miracle aren't blown that makes it impossible to believe. Ohms law and efficiency are realities. Harmonics have made many Believe the mighty mythical output ability of a 2879.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
Deleted User 14541

100w pep will make them last. Less than 60 pep will keep the IMD down...not sure it that's a true statement for pills other than the Toshiba. I still run my mobile stuff a little hard as far as the spec sheet is concerned but on the base where clean is important my 2 2879 driver is never pushed past 100 pep and 90% of the time that's all the power I use. There is a low pass filter before and after this amplifier. I don't see much difference without the filters on the watt meter but I still like to have the filters inline. The final amp has a Pi network so I don't worry about a filter after it. 100% duty cycle is my thing these days.
Crusher
Donor
Donor

Post by Crusher »

A PI network? If ya wanna get fancy. Make it a PI-L network.
Deleted User 14541

I like the idea but I'm not that fancy yet.