90 Amp Power Supply

This is the forum for asking questions about linear amplifiers or power supplies.
wild willy
Donor
Donor
Antenna: SS Whip, Dipole
Radio: Many Different

90 Amp Power Supply

Post by wild willy »

I just saw a 45 amp 13.8V power supply that would work for a few different electronic things, on flebay.It looked like it came from a HP computer. It says it will run on 110 or 220. Would these be any good for a small amp? You know the old saying, " If it sounds too goo to be true....." I'd like to get a 90 amp if they are legit. Update: I just learned they are refurbished from a server. Still, I'd like to know if it would work.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: 90 Amp Power Supply

Post by MDYoungblood »

I don't have one of them but read the descriptions carefully. Noise is the only problem I see, some switching supplies are very noisy and trying to filter it would increase the cost extremely. The good thing is that they can be siamesed together to make a bigger supply as long as they are the same units. If you get one we would like for you to keep us informed on it's performance.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
wild willy
Donor
Donor

Post by wild willy »

Greg, I'm going to order one. I hope I don't waste money doing it. It has a fan & a 3 prong plug. It looks like the plug that you would use to power your CPU. I'll let you know if it's ok when I get it.
Spiderleggs
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Handle: Spiderleggs
Antenna: antron
Radio: various

Post by Spiderleggs »

I've used them out of old computers, I had no extra noise in using them.
wild willy
Donor
Donor

Post by wild willy »

Spiderleggs wrote:I've used them out of old computers, I had no extra noise in using them.
Thanks for the comment. I just ordered mine this evening.
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

My bench power supply is built out of server supplies and no noise on 11 meters. I haven't listened for noise on other bands and mine are dell brand. Over 200 amps for under $100 ain't a bad deal.
Bluerunner
Donor
Donor
Handle: BlueRunner
Antenna: Starduster
Radio: Cobra 142

Post by Bluerunner »

My experience with using computer power supplies is they put out something like 11.7 to 12.2 VDC which is just fine and in the practical operating range.

However, 14 to 13.8 VDC is what you get from your car / charging system and more like the optimal range. It doesn't matter to me, but someone who is trying to squeeze every milliwatt of performance out of their equipment may be disappointed.

Retail Cb / radio high amp power supplies typically allow you some adjustment and an extra volt or two can noticeably boost the performance of an amp too, at least when splitting hairs on the watt meter.

I know the difference can be insignificant from an operational point of view, but some may feel shortchanged losing a watt or two, even if it lengthens the life of their equipment and leaves some extra money in their pocket.

Computer server power supplies are an excellent bargain for the price and i recommend them too.
wild willy
Donor
Donor

Post by wild willy »

Like stated, I just ordered my 90 amp. If it works out OK I'll order one a bit bigger if needed. Output is stated at 13.8 volts. If you hook it to 220V instead of 110, things start to change from what I read. I'll believe it when I see it. Thanks everyone!
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

Bluerunner wrote:My experience with using computer power supplies is they put out something like 11.7 to 12.2 VDC which is just fine and in the practical operating range.

However, 14 to 13.8 VDC is what you get from your car / charging system and more like the optimal range. It doesn't matter to me, but someone who is trying to squeeze every milliwatt of performance out of their equipment may be disappointed.

Retail Cb / radio high amp power supplies typically allow you some adjustment and an extra volt or two can noticeably boost the performance of an amp too, at least when splitting hairs on the watt meter.

I know the difference can be insignificant from an operational point of view, but some may feel shortchanged losing a watt or two, even if it lengthens the life of their equipment and leaves some extra money in their pocket.

Computer server power supplies are an excellent bargain for the price and i recommend them too.
Alot of them are like that. The first one I tried would max out at under 12 volts. The ones I use are at 13.5. There are some that will exceed 16 volts with some modifications. The RC forums have a lot of info on these.
wild willy
Donor
Donor

Post by wild willy »

Well, it came, 2 hooked together. Each has it's own power chord though. One 13.8 Volt output.