Davemade help

This is the forum for asking questions about linear amplifiers or power supplies.
bayou1
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: Cobra

Davemade help

Post by bayou1 »

1x2 into 12 davemade. Blew a 1 pill volting. Now if I put a 100 watts into it it gives me about the same output. What else could have blown to hold it back? It only exposed 1 pill n I changed both in that section n cked the other 2 also everything checked out good there. Please don't tell me I have to check every pill
You don't have to be great to get started, but you have to get started to be great!
Deleted User 14541

Re: Davemade help

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

It wouldn't be a bad idea to test each one. Check for burned resistors on the combiners and the 10 ohms from the pill bases to ground. Check all the caps while you're in there too. Taking short cuts will cost you later.
bayou1
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by bayou1 »

Lol u read my mind I was looking for a short cut. I keyed a barefoot radio into it with a 10 watt slug and got no watts now I know it's serious
You don't have to be great to get started, but you have to get started to be great!
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

bayou1 wrote:Lol u read my mind I was looking for a short cut. I keyed a barefoot radio into it with a 10 watt slug and got no watts now I know it's serious
That's what happens when volting, and staying on the key too long...Your box turns into "Puff the Magic Dragon." :mrgreen:
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Crusher
Donor
Donor
Handle: Crusher
Radio: Cobra 29

Post by Crusher »

I agree with JJD and 543. Your gonna have to pull or at least lift up base of all pills and check. Also I would check the 1000 going across transformers and the output cap on each 4 pill section. If your volting around 18 volts, you don't even need the 1 pill driver. Just a 2 pill will make it get up. More volts means less drive required.
bayou1
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by bayou1 »

Tks to all I ended up pulling them all to find 4 bad. May it was only 1 or 2 but I keep keying after I fixed 1 so maybe I cost myself more but it's done now. Crusher what's the deal with lifting the base. Never ck that way before details please?
Crusher
Donor
Donor
Handle: Crusher
Radio: Cobra 29

Post by Crusher »

If you lift/ isolate just the base leg. You can use a DMM with diode function and check from base to emitter and then base to collector. Then you can reverse leads and check collector to base and emitter to base to see if transistor leaks. If you detect leakage, time to replace as well