1x4 X force TNT Amp

This is the place to ask questions about linear amplifiers, or power supplies

Moderator: JR Moderator

Big_Mic
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

1x4 X force TNT Amp

Post by Big_Mic » Thursday, 18 November 2010, 17:02 PM

just wanted to say hi to all on the board.... lookin' forward to putting this new pup in the truck, drive an 18 wheeler, very interesting the responses and posts on here....

hope everyone has a good Holiday season coming up!
Stryker 497HPC/Texas Star Sweet 16/K-40 Coily Antenna's
Yaesu FT 101EE/Alpha (2) 4CX1000's/8 Element beam Flat Side
8 Antenna's in all covering 160-2 Meter

The Pics below give the rest of the story...

DixieEcho82
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: RCI, Galaxy, Uniden
Name: Greg
Home Phone: 910-648-6281

Re: 1x4 X force TNT Amp

Post by DixieEcho82 » Thursday, 18 November 2010, 21:40 PM

Welcome to the forum!! What kind of antenna are you running with that?

Nagant
Donor
Donor
Radio: To Many To List
Antenna: M104C, V-Quad
Name: Paul
Referrals: 1

Post by Nagant » Thursday, 18 November 2010, 22:16 PM

Welcome to the forum.

I really like those Xforce TNT's and their older version MagaForces.
Worm on AM or 262 on SSB.

Pills are for swallowing!

My YouTube CB Radio Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/262NagantRa ... e=mhee#p/u

this_is_nascar
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by this_is_nascar » Saturday, 20 November 2010, 7:10 AM

Big_Mic wrote:just wanted to say hi to all on the board.... lookin' forward to putting this new pup in the truck, drive an 18 wheeler, very interesting the responses and posts on here....

What radio are you planning to use? I'm assuming a low-powered, single-final rig. You're really limited in radio choices using that amp, since it's only one pill driving the four pills.
"... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go."

hilltop 439
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: RCI2980WX/Galaxy98v
Antenna: I MAX 2000/Maco103c
Name: JOSHUA

Post by hilltop 439 » Saturday, 20 November 2010, 7:53 AM

Welcome to the forum . Are you running your setup cophase or a single groundplane antenna ?
... THE ONLY WAY TO DISCOVER THE LIMITS OF THE POSSIBLE IS TO GO BEYOND THEM INTO THE IMPOSSIBLE ...

Big_Mic
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Big_Mic » Sunday, 21 November 2010, 5:10 AM

this_is_nascar wrote:
Big_Mic wrote:just wanted to say hi to all on the board.... lookin' forward to putting this new pup in the truck, drive an 18 wheeler, very interesting the responses and posts on here....

What radio are you planning to use? I'm assuming a low-powered, single-final rig. You're really limited in radio choices using that amp, since it's only one pill driving the four pills.

i am using an RCI 2950.... D/K set too 2 watts and modulating not more than 125% at 10 watts .... on SSB i am getting 30 watts ... This is plenty as the dead key on the Amp is 125 watts and modulates just about 600 watts +/- .... this is the way i wanted it set up, the amp is doing the work, not the radio, and is clean with the Amp running closer to A/B linearity ...

I like running my stuff clean and modulating it properly without over saturating the transistors... As most ham amplifiers are set up with 4 2879's running in the 500-600 watt range it's right where it should be.... yeah you can run these transistors through the meat grinder but why? If I wanna run more power which is not necessary I'd just buy a bigger Amplifier... The first 500 'clean' watts are the meat and potatoes, especially on SSB, the rest is just Gravy...

Considering on AM that it takes 4x current power to gain 1 S unit, I'd have to go to a Amplifier that was capable of a 500 watt carrier Modulating 2,000 to 2,500 watts to gain 1 S unit .... Than to get another S unit I would have to graduate to a an Amplifier capable of 2,000 watts carrier ....

thank you and I hope you all have a great holiday....

Big_Mic
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Big_Mic » Sunday, 21 November 2010, 5:15 AM

hilltop 439 wrote:Welcome to the forum . Are you running your setup cophase or a single groundplane antenna ?

The Antenna's are Co phased only 'cause they balance each other out on the Peterbilt... LOL .... I also run HF Antenna's for the ham bands and since there was some Antenna interaction the whips are at different heights on each one for optimum performance and minimum SWR ..... The Ham band antenna is another mount on the passenger side.... So By leaving the whip extended on the passenger side and adjusting the whip on the driver side, i was able to obtain a desired minimum on Channel 20, and I can go 40 channels above and 40 channels below the standard Channel 20 on 11 meters well retaining a 1:1 swr at the edges and a 1:0 to 1 on Channel 20..... Quite remarkable and impressive....

this_is_nascar
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by this_is_nascar » Sunday, 21 November 2010, 6:20 AM

Good deal. Sounds like you're all set and have your sh*t together.
"... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go."

Big_Mic
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Big_Mic » Sunday, 21 November 2010, 8:20 AM

Thank you.... and yes a little bit. We ran AM for years on the Ham bands, there we run a modified FT 101EE currently with an Alpha Amp and a pair of 4cx1000's .... low drive ... 55 watts yields 1500 out.... we have a lot of fun with it....

We've also tore down the old Gates/RCA AM broadcast transmitters and rebuilt them to run on 75 and 40 Meters....

We have fun with the hobby and that's what it's all about!! it's nice too meet you and everyone else on here, enjoy reading the posts and what people are up too....

Sadly enough as I truck around the U.S. i just don't hear the base stations and people talking like I used to... Sure a change from the 70's when everyone and their brother had a base station.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic