This is the place to ask questions about linear amplifiers, or power supplies

Moderator: JR Moderator

wrench
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.
Name: Bill

Palomar 350 Skipper

Post by wrench » Wednesday, 17 February 2010, 19:12 PM

Just a short question, How many watts would be safe to output from radio to this amplifier? Cannot seem to get rated output from this amplifier at two watts. Max now at ~250 SSB. Thanks

atfguy
Donor
Donor

Re: Palomar 350 Skipper

Post by atfguy » Wednesday, 17 February 2010, 19:56 PM

I know it's not the same, but I have a Palomar tx350 and if I go above 3.5, it starts to distort. I keep it around 2.5 watts to do no damage to the Amplifier. It's my personal thing. Really, I don't want to push a few extra watts for a POSSIBLE S unit... That's just my input. I hope I could be of some help to you. Thanks!

The Cisco Kid - 928 - Montana.....

jellybelly
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.
Name: Jason

Post by jellybelly » Thursday, 18 February 2010, 16:13 PM

I always go with 1 watt per pill you also need to know how much your radio is swinging. 25 watts of swing should drive it fine. 15 to 18 watts you would probably see those low numbers. Also how short is your ground? How does your swr's check out? It really could be a number of things...You could have a tight meter.

wrench
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.
Name: Bill

Post by wrench » Thursday, 18 February 2010, 18:24 PM

Well, thanks I think JellyBelly. I am unsure of your "tech Talk" I do get tight meter as in it may be a bit less needle movement than what the actual output may be, and the "swr's" is below 1.5:1. The short ground I am unsure of and the swinging watts just has my all messed up. Could you perhaps explain those for me or perhaps others as well? Don't feel as though you cannot talk with proper terminology I'll just look up what I do not understand. Thanks for your help!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic