What is on the back of this Tx100??

This is the forum for asking questions about linear amplifiers or power supplies.
NEMICB
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: Galaxy 73

What is on the back of this Tx100??

Post by NEMICB »

Can anybody tell me what this added box on the back of my Tx-100 is? It covers the old antenna connector, and has a rotary knob on the top with four settings. 10-15, 20, 40, 80

Part of me guessed Pre-amp, but this Tx-100 already has a pre amp built in. Also, how low should I set the dead key to drive this thing?

http://image.blobhope.com/showpic-1554.jpg

I dunno, it wont post the pic.
'Doc

Re: What is on the back of this Tx100??

Post by 'Doc »

Just from what you've said, I'd have to guess a tuned input or output, depending on if it's the input or output connection. It's a reasonable assumption anyway.
- 'Doc
NEMICB
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by NEMICB »

I guess that's above my knowledge.... need explanation. I'm just planning on running this in my mobile with my NR100 driving it.
Crusher
Donor
Donor
Handle: Crusher
Radio: Cobra 29

Post by Crusher »

Yeah, what Doc said. It is a band switch for different frequencies.
Foxhunter
Donor
Donor
Radio: Fisher-Price

Post by Foxhunter »

Yeah what Crusher and Doc said haha. No really they are right. In other (and a few more) words, someone (probably a Ham) modified this old CB amplifier you have to cover more of the radio spectrum. Sounds as if it's set up for (let's hope successfully set up for) more than just 11M CB.

The numbers you describe are for switchable band selection for additional Amateur/Ham radio frequencies.

10-15 Meters (you will probably use this selection for CB 11M)
20 Meters
40 Meters
80 Meters

Some would desire 160 Meters but you often won't get that with an older amplifier or someone didn't go through the trouble to do it, or didn't want to. Usually when a Ham comes across an old CB amplifier at a yard sale etc, they will do one of two things.

After they get it they will proceed to strip it of any useable parts for project purposes, and junk the rest. "Another one off the streets".

Or, they will modify it for greater coverage, hopefully make corrections and/or improve it, and certainly add proper output filtering.

Maybe you have yourself a nicely upgraded TX100.

Foxhunter 351 NJ
NEMICB
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by NEMICB »

Thank you! I do suppose thats it. It almost looks like it would have been a mass-produced kit from the fit and finish of the add-ons. The labels have a professional look to them, like it was a universal kit maybe. Sadly, as cool as this mod sounds i'll never use it. I just wanna put a little more punch on my personal vehicle for my 5 hour run to work.

I have my Cherokee down to a 2w deadkey, would this be a reasonable level to run this TX100?
Foxhunter
Donor
Donor
Radio: Fisher-Price

Post by Foxhunter »

You're welcome no problem at all. The only thing will Hams using small amps is that it's more unusual, because many Ham radios have output levels that would instantly fry a small CB amp. But I know guys still do it, and that must be the case there with yours. And I'd think odds are that 2W or so would be plenty of drive for it, unless the modifier also did something to accept an increased drive level, but I'd kind of doubt it. I'd test her out and see what it does for output with your 2W drive and see if the amp delivers close to full output. C-ya!

Foxhunter 351 NJ
NEMICB
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by NEMICB »

Well I have found pics of the exact mod that has been done to my TX100. This TX is up on ebay, and the seller says it's a variable power setup. I'm not doubting anyone here, just knda want to double check..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayIS ... :MEBIDX:IT

I am running this in my big truck right now, and have heard good reports, but not the distance I'd expect, which got me thinking about the variable power option. But with the highest setting marked 80, I'm skeptical again as I though this would throw a little over 110 watts.