This is the place to ask questions about linear amplifiers, or power supplies

Moderator: JR Moderator

unit_525
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.
Name: Sean

100 watts vs 350 watts?

Post by unit_525 » Wednesday, 28 October 2009, 4:48 AM

Ok so I'm looking at getting an amp. What would be the difference in signal from using 100 watts to 350 watts?

Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Re: 100 watts vs 350 watts?

Post by 127 » Wednesday, 28 October 2009, 6:15 AM

unit_525 wrote:Ok so I'm looking at getting an amp. What would be the difference in signal from using 100 watts to 350 watts?
3/4 - 1 S-unit. Significant enough.

De_Wildfire
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Tram D64,TramD201,K3
Antenna: Imax, G5RV, Invtd L

Post by De_Wildfire » Wednesday, 28 October 2009, 15:39 PM

You get about 1 s-unit. That will work especially if someone has line noise or intentional QRM. Now if you get greedy, and you want to come up another s-unit, you'll have to increase it from 350 to 700 watts. Double the power to come up another unit. It can get really expensive when you get to a certain point when you do the math.

Foxhunter
Donor
Donor
Radio: Fisher-Price
Referrals: 1

Post by Foxhunter » Wednesday, 28 October 2009, 17:42 PM

That's all pretty much true but let me point out you either have to double x2---or---quadruple x4 your power, each time you want to put out a 1 s-unit increase. Meters are different with different radios and some see the correct 6 dB per S unit correspondence and some only see 3 dB, hence the seemingly conflicting references to either the double or quadruple rule. It will depend on your meter type (or the listeners) as to what output multiplier will be correct. Just wanted to throw that in there.

Foxhunter 351 NJ

I Remember

unit_525
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.
Name: Sean

Post by unit_525 » Thursday, 29 October 2009, 4:14 AM

Thank you! I think 100 watts will do fine in the mobile. My little care would need a bigger and better alternator to climb to the big greedy numbers.

txs

De_Wildfire
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by De_Wildfire » Thursday, 29 October 2009, 15:53 PM

Do a 100 watts and use a real good mobile antenna and you will be fine. If propagation is poor, you're going to talk local anyway. On 10 meters when the band is dead 1500 watts is only good around here or slightly extended local range. You ever notice when the band is dead, you don't hear those 20,000 watt "bowl" stations on channel 6? You power is only as good as propagation. We did have a spike in the solar flux yesterday so I guess that is a good sign on what's to come.

drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx » Thursday, 29 October 2009, 16:13 PM

When you're talking about 100 watts, yes it is probably plenty for your needs but when you start shopping for amplifiers you will find that the price difference from 100 watts to 200+ watts isn't very much, so you might as well get a little bigger amp and take it easy on it with a regular radio and good antenna and you'll have a reliable good talking setup that your car will still be able to power. It really depends on the amps you're looking at. Look at the prices for the wattage jumps and judge for yourself. If you can, get an amp with a fan or install one yourself. Amps hate heat, so keeping them cool keeps them alive. Plus, fans are Manly.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all *Censored*, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx

Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 127 » Thursday, 29 October 2009, 16:51 PM

drdx wrote:When you're talking about 100 watts, yes it is probably plenty for your needs but when you start shopping for amplifiers you will find that the price difference from 100 watts to 200+ watts isn't very much, so you might as well get a little bigger amp and take it easy on it with a regular radio and good antenna and you'll have a reliable good talking setup that your car will still be able to power. It really depends on the amps you're looking at. Look at the prices for the wattage jumps and judge for yourself. If you can, get an amp with a fan or install one yourself. Amps hate heat, so keeping them cool keeps them alive. Plus, fans are Manly.

-drdx

It starts out as a Palomar 225........then a 3 pill.....then a 2x4..........then an 8 pill and a 2 pill driver........then you start shopping for 1986-95 Suburbans.....then you spend more time at the alternator shop than with your wife..........then it gets out of control!!!!!! :mrgreen:

379 stringbean
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by 379 stringbean » Thursday, 29 October 2009, 20:35 PM

No Doubt!!!!!This isnt a cheap addiction.But the wife says it beats the old ones anyday!!!

drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx » Friday, 30 October 2009, 5:05 AM

Many of us spend a lot on the hobby but unless you collect seriously, it is about the cheapest hobby there is. Once you own the stuff, it is free to use, and it is usually still worth something when you get tired of it. Compared to hunting, fishing, golf, and cars, it is really cheap. There is no driving to the fishing hole or hunting area, atv not required, no license fees, no green fees, no club dues, no boat, no boat gas, no golf cart (or fees for that), no special clothing that makes you look like elmer fudd, and you can do it at any time for any length of time regardless of season or weather.

For radio, it is the equipment, and the amount you spend on that is up to you. If you're nice to your stuff it lasts forever, especially if you cost average it over the time of ownership. Let's say you have $500 in your mobile, that's maybe a small amp, radio, and good antenna. Use it 2 years and that's less than a dollar a day, and 2 years later that setup, if you got totally tired of it, still may be worth half or more of that if you bought right and took care of it. Now that's cheap entertainment. But, at first, it does seem pricey and if you're constantly unwisely trading you WILL be spending a lot of money just to get a new set of knobs. It's just like dating. Stare at that radio and keep saying "it's cheaper to keep her" and you'll keep it on the cheap side.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all *Censored*, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx

De_Wildfire
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by De_Wildfire » Friday, 30 October 2009, 7:49 AM

drdx wrote:Many of us spend a lot on the hobby but unless you collect seriously, it is about the cheapest hobby there is. Once you own the stuff, it is free to use, and it is usually still worth something when you get tired of it. Compared to hunting, fishing, golf, and cars, it is really cheap. There is no driving to the fishing hole or hunting area, atv not required, no license fees, no green fees, no club dues, no boat, no boat gas, no golf cart (or fees for that), no special clothing that makes you look like elmer fudd, and you can do it at any time for any length of time regardless of season or weather.

For radio, it is the equipment, and the amount you spend on that is up to you. If you're nice to your stuff it lasts forever, especially if you cost average it over the time of ownership. Let's say you have $500 in your mobile, that's maybe a small amp, radio, and good antenna. Use it 2 years and that's less than a dollar a day, and 2 years later that setup, if you got totally tired of it, still may be worth half or more of that if you bought right and took care of it. Now that's cheap entertainment. But, at first, it does seem pricey and if you're constantly unwisely trading you WILL be spending a lot of money just to get a new set of knobs. It's just like dating. Stare at that radio and keep saying "it's cheaper to keep her" and you'll keep it on the cheap side.

-drdx
I enjoy my TRAM D201, TRAM D64 Mobile on a power supply and my Cobra 139XLR. It's all still ticking and there are days I just want to use the table set up for 11 meters.

Tucker442
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: Yeticom Optima III
Antenna: IMAX 2000
Name: Tom
Cell Phone: 9082272865

Post by Tucker442 » Friday, 30 October 2009, 10:26 AM

A lot depends how close your neighbors are LOL i have neighbors that are still using antenna tv even with the new digital it will mess it up, my choice is to stay under and 100 to keep peace and still be able to use my radios. I'd love to run 3 hundred or more but not where I live.

De_Wildfire
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by De_Wildfire » Friday, 30 October 2009, 13:56 PM

Everyone around here has cable and FIOS. So far so good, knock on wood. What I am worried about is cheap wiring to the tv's, phones, stereos and computer speakers.

5pills
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: COBRA 29 GTL classic
Name: Brett

Post by 5pills » Saturday, 31 October 2009, 8:50 AM

I'll take 350 watts over 100 any day. We once had neighbor problems with just 500 PEP watts and got letters in the mail......so we moved our antenna's up the mountain behind our house and got them way above the houses in the neighborhood and could bump down 10 K bird except for sundays(churches).....lol...you may get a small beam as long as you dont point it over their house!!!
5PILLS in ALABAMA is reedin' on tha MAIL!!!

ToeJam
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: 29 & 148 GTL
Name: Jeremy
Home Phone: fififi-fofofofo

Post by ToeJam » Tuesday, 03 November 2009, 20:13 PM

"CB" stands for "Constantly Buying".... At least that's what the old man taught me...

ToeJam
The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

~~~George Carlin R.I.P.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic