X force amp 4 pill

This is the forum for asking questions about linear amplifiers or power supplies.
rosman6119
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Antenna: PREDATOR 10k SHORT W
Radio: custom built 98vhp

X force amp 4 pill

Post by rosman6119 »

Can I run a X force nemesis straight 4pill with 1446 transistors in it with a galaxy dual final radio or should I get it with the 2879 transistors in it.
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Re: X force amp 4 pill

Post by 1206FL »

Get the tnt 600hd. Have them place toshiba transistors in it if you like. The tnt 600hd can take a bit of power input as well. 10w dead key and over 150 watts pep. I used one with a magnum 257hp running at 70-80 watts on SSB and amp never gets above warm. It would put out about 600-700 watts pep on SSB. Good amps. Haven't seen the nemesis. My amp also has toshiba transistors in it. Does me well when I use it!!
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

But to answer your question I am sure that 4 1446's will handle the pep wattage of the radio. Keep the dead key down to 1-2 watts. But if it were me I would upgrade to toshiba transistors and don't ever overdrive the amp and it should last a long time. My amp is probably 6-8 yrs old. Looks like new still. It's one of the 1st tnt600hd versions. Way before the new owners took over
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

You already have a 2 pill 2879 amp right? Yes the 1446 box is cheaper but you get what you pay for and it wont do a lot more than the 2 pill. If you cheap out now you'll regret it later. The nemesis series is more expensive with fancy lights and switches. A 400hd in the old silver case will work just as well as a nemesis with the same pills. I'd rather have a plain looking amp that performs than cheap out on the transistors to get a nicer case. Did you ever say what kind of powere your radio does? I assume at least 40 watts if it's dual final.
rosman6119
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by rosman6119 »

Ok thanks for the input and yes I do have a 2 pill right now but it's a homemade one so I should add they recommend getting the smaller transistors because I already have 8 gauge wire in my work truck and can't change it so if you tell me I can run a 400hd off of 8 gauge wire then I will go with the bigger transistors 4x 2879 I am asking you guys because I have got 2 different opinions on the 8 gauge wire with a 4x2879 transistors so can I use that wire.
yota167
Donor
Donor
Radio: Stryker490HP

Post by yota167 »

rosman6119 wrote:Can I run a X force nemesis straight 4pill with 1446 transistors in it with a galaxy dual final radio or should I get it with the 2879 transistors in it.
1446's work best when they are performing an output of about 70 peak watts per transistor. Anything above that and IMD will start to show in the audio transmission along with added heat. The 1446 is a smaller sized transistor, which naturally means it dissipates heat slower than the bigger diameter ones like the 2290 or 2879.

Looking at the datasheet, at 30mhz, 8 watts in should get about 75 or 80 watts out. So if you've got 4 in a straight arrangement then id say no more than 32 watts of input for that linear should be alright and still sound ok although you'll be slightly over the perfect IMD characteristics nobody on cb will notice anyways.

And all that being said, in the real world, I ran a stryker 440 peaking at 45 watts into an xforce midnight special 4x1446 mobile box and it sounded beautiful!
Yota167
Getting back in the game...
Was running fat boys, Davemade's, and TS's.
Now just wanting to set up my Kenworth t880 Roll Off truck.
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

Ah yes. I forgot you can't change the wire. I'm not going to tell you #8 wire will be enough because it probably isnt but if it's a very short run to the batteries it might work. We've talked about the wire in another thread...I don't think you ever said how long the run was or answer my question about the power output of the radio. Dual finals only leaves us guessing. Good luck with it.
rosman6119
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by rosman6119 »

TAnks for the help as for the dead key I am going to get that checked tomorrow and as far as the length it is not very far at all it is on an old R model Mack and it comes from the battery right below the passenger side door and right through the dash from the firewall so I would say not even 6 foot long. I think the radio dead keys at around 40 or 50 watts right now but I will find out for sure tomorrow now if I can should I have them turn it down and what should I have them set it at for the bigger amp with 4x2879 and also if you know can you give me both dead key settings one for the box with 4 x1446 transistors and a dead key setting for 4x2879 thanks for the help.
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

40-50 watts pep will not hurt a 4 transistor 2879 toshiba amp. Keep the dead key between 1-2 watts on both the 1446's and the toshibas. The amp should key up at about 1/4 of the total output. So you may need to run a lower than 2 watt dead key. 2 watt dead key is just a baseline that a lot of people use. If your power run is that short you may be able to get away with a 4 pill. But it's always better to have more and not need than to have not enough.
yota167
Donor
Donor
Radio: Stryker490HP

Post by yota167 »

"R model Mack" eh?! Hell yeh, I ran one of those back in the day. You'll definently want a large external speaker because those R models are some rough and noisey SOB's. If it's got hydraulic control box in the cab between the seats, that is the easiest most conveinent way to run wire into the cab. I just can't believe a company would care about running some more wire in an R model mack. Them some tough ol' trucks! I'm not old now, but I'm glad I was 19 when I was in one of those.

Just a guess,your a dumper, or you run refuse, scrap, or a lowboy in your R....?
Yota167
Getting back in the game...
Was running fat boys, Davemade's, and TS's.
Now just wanting to set up my Kenworth t880 Roll Off truck.
rosman6119
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by rosman6119 »

Oh I know it does get loud I have been with this company for 5 years driving a triaxle dump truck great union job they just don't let us work on our truck or I would run the wire myself they will do it for me I just hate to bother them with that because I just had them run the 8 gauge wire for me last year for the 98vhp here is a picture of one of our trucks not mine but mine is the same thing.