4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: Pierce Simpson and S
Antenna: A-99
Name: Marc Johnson
Cell Phone: 6024195646

Kris Boomer amp

Post by 973Kid » Sunday, 26 November 2017, 17:37 PM

I have been away from any serious base set up for many years. I have been going through all the gear I have and some that I bought at auctions in the last few years so I have what may be a stupid question. I love tube equipment so the radio I am setting up is a Pierce Simpson Guardian that I havr talked barefoot about 30 miles with an a-99 on a 25' push up pole. I also have a Kris Boomer amp that I picked up from an old guy who was going into a nursing home. His son got mad because he sold me the amp for $10 because I conversed with him for like 30 minutes about how much I like the tube rigs.

So the question is can I use the Boomer on 11 meter because on it there is a sticker that says that it is for 6 and 10 meter only and all other use is unlawful. I understand the law but is there a reason that this unit wouldn't run with my Guardian?

[ Post made via Samsung Galaxy S5 ] Image

443 Arizona
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: madison on 5/8 wave

Re: Kris Boomer amp

Post by 443 Arizona » Monday, 27 November 2017, 0:39 AM

sure but i think your going to have a drifting problem that will amplify into 2nd and 3rd harmonics and become a spurious squeeling mess unless you are a good tech.
i dont want to pee on your plans but what you want to do is going to be tough with old equipment.

MDYoungblood
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Post by MDYoungblood » Monday, 27 November 2017, 16:13 PM

What model Boomer is it? It most likely is set for 11m, for 6m it would need a change in the tap location. It would be fine behind the Guardian radio, that was one of my first radios and used a Courier 100w amp behind it.

3's

Greg
ImageImageImage

"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD Image WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld
Maxon HCB-40WX
Antennas
Avanti Sigma II
Homemade Full Wave Loop
Homemade 1/2 wave Dipole
Hustler 102" SS Whip and Hustler Ball Mount

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department

973Kid
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by 973Kid » Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 1:22 AM

Hey MDYoungblood, I just looked at it and I don't see a model number or anything. It just says Kris on the left and Boomer on the right. After I get my antenna set up and dialed in I will hook this box up and see how it sounds. I have never put power behing the Guardian before because it sounds so good without it but I am really interested in seeing how it sounds with some power behind it. It currently has a stock mic but I do have a D-104 and a plus 3 so as some point I will have to figure out how to replug one of them to fit this radio. The guy I bought the Guardian from owned a radio shop in the 80's and 90's so he took real good care of it. He used this one and a Washington but he wouldn't sell me the Washington.

MDYoungblood
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Post by MDYoungblood » Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 6:20 AM

The PS Guardian will sound good with the D-104, shouldn't need to adjust the gain much over a 1/4 turn, the Turner +3 is an excellent mic as well plus the gain control is on top so you don't have to fiddle with turning it over. I liked my Guardian, tube audio has a nice warm fuzzy sound. When you get a mic plug just post a question on the wiring and if your handy with a soldering iron it would just take a couple of minutes to get one on the air.

3's

Greg
ImageImageImage

"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD Image WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld
Maxon HCB-40WX
Antennas
Avanti Sigma II
Homemade Full Wave Loop
Homemade 1/2 wave Dipole
Hustler 102" SS Whip and Hustler Ball Mount

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department

973Kid
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by 973Kid » Saturday, 02 December 2017, 14:09 PM

I actually got my anyenna up but so far it is just on a 10' pole. I have another 10' that this one will slide into so that should put my a-99 another 8' or so up when I am talking and I can bring it down when it's not in use. But anyway I put the Boomer in line with the Guardian and talked to a guy m/l 10 miles away and it was hitting him with a 9. I couldn't hear anyone on SSB. Pretty dead for skip last night when I finally got the rig set up. I'm just happy everything works. On Friday I eill be getting a power meter so I can see what the set up is doing. My swr is 1.3 on 1 and 40.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic