Back to the 80s

Just a off topic area for people to come and post.

Moderator: JR Moderator

doctorhugo
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.
Name: Bob
Cell Phone: 631-627-9283

Back to the 80s

Post by doctorhugo » Monday, 02 March 2015, 14:45 PM

Lookin' to hook up with an old DX acquaintance of years gone by in the Manchester, TN area. Got any Ancient Mary mode down-low bootleg ops in here...c'mon!

Site Admin
Site Admin
Radio: Uniden/Icom/Cobra
Referrals: 1

Re: Back to the 80s

Post by 231 » Tuesday, 03 March 2015, 13:12 PM

Lots of us freebanded over the years. Myself, I hung out down there for a couple of years back in the late 70's...but eventually moved to SSB (up higher) through the 80's. It was easier on my ears to listen to and didn't require as much effort (wattage) to get the job done. I was strictly mobile (rolling base station) exclusively through the 80's. Used to love hooking up with the same guys daily (about lunch time) across the continent. Those were fun days...in moderation. LOL

jessejamesdallas
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Referrals: 1

Post by jessejamesdallas » Tuesday, 03 March 2015, 20:43 PM

There's a annual "CB Break" in Manchester last weekend of June at the Quality Inn every year...Sponsored by the "Channel 28 Good Time Gang"... If you've never been, it's worth checking out...May run into someone you use to talk to! Break starts on the last Thursday of the month and runs threw Saturday in the back parking lot area of Quality INN...

People come from all over the Country for the Break...Generally around 200-300 show up over the 3 day period. (most on Friday and Saturday) There's also a swap meet, so plenty of CB related things to buy and sell.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

doctorhugo
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.
Name: Bob
Cell Phone: 631-627-9283

Post by doctorhugo » Monday, 16 March 2015, 17:19 PM

Hey the Jesse. Thanks a bunch for that info. I'll sure try to get over there. The fun back in those years on the AM down-low is you sort of picked one freq and ran it as your home channel, so over about 3 yrs.on each side of the sunspot cycle peak everyone got to know everyone else as "regulars" on the freq and you'd keep in touch in different ways until the next cycle rolled around.. Mine was 26.905 for many years, startin' way back in the early 70s. Most of the regulars I used to call friends have passed. Hell, I'm 78 now myself, but still full o' piss 'n vinegar like we used to say.

Anybody out there remember the Big Dummy Control? His line was..."This is The Big Dummy Control broadcasting live and direct from high atop the Conrad Hilton Hotel, 103 floors up overlooking the streets of downtown Manchester, Tennessee.". Back then you'd always hear the down South good old boys shovellin' their lines northbound, but rarely any Yankees sending any south. I changed that. I'd keydown with about 250-300 watts into my Francis whip in the middle of the van roof and go into my Dr. Hugo Crapp's Emergency Medical Mobile Unit act and I'd make up all kinds of crap as I went along. Had a crank-up kiddie siren toy set-up so when I keyed down and take a quick spin and it would wail in the background as I'd scream in the mic about an emegency I had with this naked blonde I was tryin' to transport to the local care center. And so it would go... We had many fun times on the CB back then.

-- Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:46 am --
231 wrote:Lots of us freebanded over the years. Myself, I hung out down there for a couple of years back in the late 70's...but eventually moved to SSB #up higher# through the 80's. It was easier on my ears to listen to and didn't require as much effort #wattage# to get the job done. I was strictly mobile #rolling base station# exclusively through the 80's. Used to love hooking up with the same guys daily #about lunch time# across the continent. Those were fun days...in moderation. LOL

231, I also tried the "SillySide" as we called it, in about '77 or so. Being a guy who was into the loosey-goosey humor that was tolerated on AM 'down-under', that remained as my niche. To each his own as the very old song went. I found that the first three or four bunches of sidebanders I ran into were aloof and the nose-in-air, clique-ish types who preferred a small, private group. I could find that at the local library, so moved on. I stayed 'down-under', because I despised what went on with all the phonies and sickos up in the legal area when 23ch and later 40 ruled. Later as a HAM #advanced to a Gen ticket# and into DX I got my serious baptism on 10 & 15m, because minor mods only were needed to my homebrew antennas and equipment to get there. Sadly it was virtually being dominated by egocentric a-holes with one goal in mind. These "professional" operators would walk all over each other knowingly so, in their quest to get getting their WAS or WAC or whatever certificate they were working on. The ARRL had created a monster of it's own imo.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic