Retiring from CB repair after 30 years.

Just a off topic area for people to come and post.

Moderator: JR Moderator

TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Radio: HR 2510
Name: Rick
Referrals: 4

Retiring from CB repair after 30 years.

Post by TheCBDoctor » Friday, 21 November 2014, 11:24 AM

Good morning everyone.

After 30 years of CB and Radio repair I am retiring. I am keeping my day job fixing commercial radios; I am not that old (59 in 2 weeks) and the pay is great. Even in my Day job everything has become disposable and cheap. I will continue to sponsor this forum and throw in my 2 cents as often as I can.

I will be helping my wife write her cook book, which is in the making. The best thing about my retirement for members of this website is that I am selling everything. I have a ton of test equipment dedicated to CB repairs as well as plenty of obsolete parts. The list is too long to put here.

I will be providing a link that only members of this site can access from this website. If you click on my website you will not see the link of the items I have for sale. The link will be provided here exclusively under the "For Sale" topic. It will take you to a list of the items, the photos, and description.

I am not looking to make a killing. I want to find the Test Equipment, parts, and merchandise a Good Home. I am going to be choosy as to whom I sell my test equipment. It is not about the money; I will take the highest offer, but you will have to be a dedicated member of this forum or I will go with the next best offer.

Help me test out this link and check out the information on how this massive sale will be conducted.

http://thecbdoctor.net/_mgxroot/page_11128.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Currently if you click on this link there will be information on how I plan to make this work. There is a list of some items, S&H instructions, and payment methods. Copy the URL so you may go directly to the page in the future. It will take a couple of weeks to start listing what I have, so please do not ask yet. Any comments or suggestions to this post are welcome.

Remember dedicated members to this website will get preferential treatment. It is only fair. Thank you for being a member of the best CB and Radio Forum on the Internet.

Respectfully as always
Best Regards,

Rick, The CB Doctor

OFFICIAL SPONSOR - http://www.thecbdoctor.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lost Ram
Donor
Donor
Radio: Yaesu FT-991
Antenna: 700' Loop
Name: Kerry
Referrals: 1

Re: Retiring from CB repair after 30 years.

Post by Lost Ram » Friday, 21 November 2014, 11:55 AM

Sounds like your are doing what you want too, thats great!!! I hope you find extra time to help your wife with the cook book.
I will check out your items when you get them listed.
CB: TRC-450, Imax@50'
Ham : Yaesu FT-857D, FT-897D, FT-990 and FT-991, FT-8900
Ham Antennas: 700' and 258' wire loop, Maco shooting Star tuned for 10 Meter, 250' doublet, 8E 2M Quad-SSB, 4E 2M Quad-FM, 2M Copper Slim Jim 2M omni.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government. So let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so that the second will not become the legal version of the first."
Thomas Jefferson.

TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by TheCBDoctor » Friday, 21 November 2014, 13:10 PM

Lost Ram wrote:Sounds like your are doing what you want too, thats great!!! I hope you find extra time to help your wife with the cook book.
I will check out your items when you get them listed.
Thanks Lost Ram,

I wish I could save every radio. I will keep active with this website and help others keep CB radio alive. As for helping my wife, she is a great cook and has recipes that date back to her Grandmother. She is 8 years younger than me and we have been together for 34 years. I might be turning 59 shortly, but I am not dead yet. Everything still works :icon_e_wink:

A happy wife equals a happy life. Helping her with her cook book makes her happy and has brought us closer together. I am going to miss repairing CB radios. The problem is the new radios are poorly made and are inexpensive. No one wants to repair their radios anymore when they can just go out and buy another cheap one.

I remember when a Cobra 29 LTD went for $149, and that was when the dollar was still worth something. Today, I have seen them go for as little as $89 and they are of poor quality. The radios made in Taiwan and the Philippines will go 20 years before they need a repair.

We are lucky if the Chinese models last one year. So it is time to hang up the Soldering Iron and concentrate on what is important in life at this moment. I have 3 children ages 9, 12, and 15, and a beautiful wife. CB radios will just have to take a back seat when it comes to my Family.

Pass the word on about my sale. I really want my test equipment to find a good home. I will add the link again:

http://thecbdoctor.net/_mgxroot/page_11128.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you again for your post,

Respectfully,

Rick
Best Regards,

Rick, The CB Doctor

OFFICIAL SPONSOR - http://www.thecbdoctor.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

poboy309
Donor
Donor
Radio: Grant lt
Antenna: 102" whip

Post by poboy309 » Saturday, 22 November 2014, 1:29 AM

I missed this post before I sent you the PM. Congrats on the semi retirement. From what I've heard, most who retire are busier in retirement than when they worked full time. I'm sure it's more enjoyable though.
Best wishes and I'll see you around!
Uniden Grant LT barefoot mobile with a 102" whip.
President Lincoln "base" in the garage with a home made horizontal dipole.
36 - 40 lsb
RC 309 in hellinois.

Rabbit Ears
Donor
Donor
Radio: President HR2600
Antenna: Sirio 27 tornado
Name: Cliff
Home Phone: 307-674-1541

Post by Rabbit Ears » Saturday, 22 November 2014, 6:00 AM

Enjoy your retirement! Mine is an active one.

Mine rushed up on me like a Mack truck. One moment it was 1979...... the next it was my separation (retirement) physical from the Navy. 26 years in the Nav. (my hip's shot). I decided to leave for home.

Where did all the years go!!??

"I'm proud to be a Mustang!!"

Good luck!!!! :cheers: :cheers:
Read the Constitution.
FREEDOM and USA FOREVER
STAND UP FOR THE FLAG!!!

President Grant DX four button (1983 model) PC-999 *in my truck*
President HR2600 (PRIMARY BASE)
President HR2510 (backup base) *solar powered*
K40 magmount
Microphones: Turner +3 *two of them* Turner Super Side Kick
Palomar TX-150 amp
RM Italy KL300P (A/B modded)
BIRD 43P
Sirio Tornado 27 5/8 wave antenna

Watchman63
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Name: Stan

Post by Watchman63 » Saturday, 22 November 2014, 7:08 AM

Best wishes to you! But I fear I must warn you... The "honey-do" list grows with the time she sees as available! Look busy!!! Seriously, you are being a great example to all of us through your devotion to the hobby, but more importantly to what is truly important; time with the ones you love!
~ May the Lord bless this chapter in your life story!
Also, thanks for giving us a crack at your collection!

TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by TheCBDoctor » Saturday, 22 November 2014, 7:49 AM

Thank you Rabbit Ears and Watcman63,

I know; where did the years go? Rabbit ears, Thank you for your service. I spent 4 years in the army from 1974 to 1978. I could not wait to get out and now I miss the experience. I can't imagine doing 26 years in the service.

Watchman63, I always had a long Honey due list; it just took 33 years to get around to start doing it. I enjoy though. Tonight my wife and I are going grocery shopping, then off to play pool; we can finally leave the kids home alone for a few hours. We have our own sticks and are evenly matched. I don't how she did it last Saturday but she left me with 7 balls on the table. Of course she had to take a picture of my defeat. :icon_e_surprised:

I don't mind the Honey Due list as long as my wife is with me for me to help. Life is short...........But "The Outlaw Band" will outlive us all. This is a great forum and I wouldn't go anywhere else. I thank Bozo and the gang for making this site work and police it when needed. If you don't get the answer on this forum you will get the wrong answer on the others. That is why I gladly paid for a sponsorship for the past 5 years. It was well worth it to meet so many people with one desire in common.....CB.

Respectfully as always
Best Regards,

Rick, The CB Doctor

Rabbit Ears
Donor
Donor
Radio: President HR2600
Antenna: Sirio 27 tornado
Name: Cliff
Home Phone: 307-674-1541

Post by Rabbit Ears » Saturday, 22 November 2014, 20:39 PM

Honey due!!!

Yep! The lists are endless! BUT..... I did something I always wanted to do for years....

Put up a weather station. Neat-o :cheers:
Read the Constitution.
FREEDOM and USA FOREVER
STAND UP FOR THE FLAG!!!

President Grant DX four button (1983 model) PC-999 *in my truck*
President HR2600 (PRIMARY BASE)
President HR2510 (backup base) *solar powered*
K40 magmount
Microphones: Turner +3 *two of them* Turner Super Side Kick
Palomar TX-150 amp
RM Italy KL300P (A/B modded)
BIRD 43P
Sirio Tornado 27 5/8 wave antenna

Buzzweiser
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: Custom Built 2970N4
Antenna: Performer 5000
Name: Dave 656

Post by Buzzweiser » Sunday, 23 November 2014, 6:33 AM

Good luck with your semi-retirement. I always hate to see really good technicians retire especially one with the skills you have but I do understand, a man has to put family first. But beware Watchman's right, the more time you have with the wife those "honey-do" lists get longer and longer.....lol. Please also let us know when the cookbook is finished, some of us may like to get one for our wives or ourselves so we can sit around the radio and get fatter trying out those recipes. Also when writing out a recipe the stuff you use are ingredients not components. :chef:

Best Wishes!!
Dave the Old Fogie 656 Dayton, Ohio

halfwatt959
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: too many to list
Antenna: maco base/ whip mobi
Name: karl hammons sr

Post by halfwatt959 » Sunday, 23 November 2014, 22:24 PM

Hello Mr. Rick. Congatulations on retirement [or what you think will be retirement]. I hate to see one of the last real techs go but at least I may be able to ask some questions on here that you will be able to answer. 30 years of anything is a long time and I can respect your decision to devote more time to family matters. It is sad but you are correct about the quality of the new radios and it being cheaper and or easier to replace most of them than repair the old one. It is an unfortunate side effect of living in a disposable society where companies put profit over quality and service. If you cut out the repair man you sell more radios which in turn produces more profit you can show greedy investors who care more about personal gain than having a good quality product company reputation. I hope you aren't too busy to holler at us who are just learning and maybe mentor us a little once in awhile. Congrats again and enjoy the "golden" years. God bless you and yours as you find you weren't as busy when you were working as you are about to be LOL. Respectfuly Karl.

-- Sunday, 23 November 2014, 23:24 PM --

Hello Mr. Rick. Congatulations on retirement [or what you think will be retirement]. I hate to see one of the last real techs go but at least I may be able to ask some questions on here that you will be able to answer. 30 years of anything is a long time and I can respect your decision to devote more time to family matters. It is sad but you are correct about the quality of the new radios and it being cheaper and or easier to replace most of them than repair the old one. It is an unfortunate side effect of living in a disposable society where companies put profit over quality and service. If you cut out the repair man you sell more radios which in turn produces more profit you can show greedy investors who care more about personal gain than having a good quality product company reputation. I hope you aren't too busy to holler at us who are just learning and maybe mentor us a little once in awhile. Congrats again and enjoy the "golden" years. God bless you and yours as you find you weren't as busy when you were working as you are about to be LOL. Respectfuly Karl.
2 and 3/4 DX RADIO CHAOS. Halfwatt959 " I MAY NOT CAN FIX IT BUT I CAN TAKE IT APART"
I HATE COMPUTERS!!!!!

Cb_Grandpa
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: Cobra 2000GTL
Antenna: I-MAX 2000
Name: William

Post by Cb_Grandpa » Monday, 24 November 2014, 6:17 AM

Good for you Doc.

I'm sure you and your wife will enjoy your new found time...
If I am ever on life support, unplug me...
Then plug me back in.
See if that works...

The phrase DO NOT BE AFRAID is written in the bible 365 times.
That's a daily reminder from God to live every day being fearless.

RRW
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by RRW » Sunday, 27 November 2016, 17:11 PM

OK

Just found this thread

Explains why there was no response to an email sent recently

Good for you, good luck

Just retired myself and have avoided requests to return, even on consultation basis

My regards

RRW

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic