darn gout

Just a off topic area for people to come and post.

Moderator: JR Moderator

dirtyjob
Donor
Donor
Radio: Many
Antenna: Super Penetrator 500
Name: Mark
Home Phone: Unit 613 Boston
Cell Phone: CBRT 18204
Referrals: 2

darn gout

Post by dirtyjob » Tuesday, 22 April 2014, 11:34 AM

now and again I suffer from increasingly painfull gout attacks in my foot, sometimes its the right and sometimes it can be the left, I have gone to a foot doctor and he gave me some pills, all they did was make me bust out in a rash.

I am writing this here to see if any other members suffer from the same thing and what you do to ease the suffering ?
Browning Golden Eagle Mark IVA - Mark III & Mark II
"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Kenwood TS-590S - Yaesu FT897D - W2IHY 8 Band EQ - W2IHY EQPlus
Yaesu FT-101E - Tram D201A - President Lincoln - CP2000
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Super Penetrator 500 5/8 Wave
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
"North East Corner Of Massachusetts 613"
CBRT 18204

(Click image to enlarge)

Bombero
Site Admin
Site Admin
Radio: RCI 2950 Mirage
Antenna: 2ft Wire hanger
Cell Phone: 1-800-MUD-DUCK
Referrals: 1

Re: darn gout

Post by Bombero » Tuesday, 22 April 2014, 11:45 AM

Hey..

Man...I heard that it sure hurts.

A friend of mine has it and says ....take your shoe and sock off your foot and lie down on a couch or bed. Elevate your foot (or affected area) and rest until the pain lessens. In the meantime, take a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory pain reliever, such as ibuprofen. Don't take more than the recommended dose and don't take NSAIDs if you have renal disease. Don't substitute aspirin because it may make gout worse.

Ice down the affected joint to reduce inflammation and pain and most important: Drink plenty of WATER to flush uric acid crystals out of your system, and abstain from alcohol.

Hope this provides a little help and good luck.

Bombero
Official Moderator - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!

383 Boogieman

http://www.hamqsl.com/solar101pic.php

dirtyjob
Donor
Donor

Post by dirtyjob » Tuesday, 22 April 2014, 12:43 PM

thanks bombero, yep I do all that you have mentioned, I use advil, it helps a little and yes the spring water helps too, I find that if I can force a sneaker on the compression of the shoe enables me to actually walk around, without it the mere touch of a sheet is excrusiating to say the least, someone told me that eating red cherries will help, i'll have to try that too.

Trust me, if you havent had the pleasure of gout, take it from me, you dont want it.

My bartending job requires me to be able to be on my feet and when this strikes, I cant go to work, been out 2 days now, hopefully i can get back tomorrow.
"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
CBRT 18204

(Click image to enlarge)

Bombero
Site Admin
Site Admin
Radio: RCI 2950 Mirage
Antenna: 2ft Wire hanger
Cell Phone: 1-800-MUD-DUCK
Referrals: 1

Post by Bombero » Tuesday, 22 April 2014, 13:37 PM

Hey..

I don't know about eating cherries, but hey...it's can't hurt.

Here are a few other home remedies....

-- Lime is not only an excellent source of vitamin C but the citric acid found in lime also helps dissolve uric acid. The vitamin C in lime also cures sore joints and strengthens the tissues in the body. Drink a glass of water with the juice of half a lime at least twice a day for visible results.

-- Another natural treatment for gout is charcoal. Make a paste out of water and charcoal powder (half cup). Apply this to the affected and swollen joint for effective relief from pain. This is one of the best home remedies for gout in the foot. Soak the foot in this mixture for thirty minutes at a time.

--Other treatments for gout in the foot involve the use of herbs such as ginger root, devil’s claw root or white willow bark. Herbal supplements such as licorice, boswellia and feverfew can also be taken. These herbs have anti-inflammatory properties can reduce the symptoms of gout. Consult with a trained herbal doctor to find out correct dosages and to prevent overuse.

-- Blend mustard powder along with whole-wheat powder and water and apply to the swollen join. You can leave this paste on overnight for the best results.

-- Soaking the affected foot in a bath of warm water and ground ginger can treat gout in the toes and feet. Soaking the feet in this mix increases the elimination of uric acid by inducing perspiration.

Bombero
Official Moderator - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!

383 Boogieman

http://www.hamqsl.com/solar101pic.php

dirtyjob
Donor
Donor

Post by dirtyjob » Tuesday, 22 April 2014, 14:02 PM

ill definately try the lime, thanks again :bounce:
"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
CBRT 18204

(Click image to enlarge)

PA629
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by PA629 » Tuesday, 22 April 2014, 14:12 PM

I get flares about twice a year. Doctor gave me 'scripts for Allopurinol (to stabilize system), and Indocin (NSAID to reduce inflammation). Takes about a day and a half to go away. You need to Google what foods trigger the flares and watch what you eat. My flares come from ignoring my own advice.
Base: Galaxy DX2517, D104 Silver Eagle w/W2ENY element, SB 220, Imax 2000, 4 element quad
Mobile: Galaxy 95T2, Astatic 575-M6, Sirio P-5000 Performer, Unmentionable 4x2879

Big blue
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: RHF618; 500Z Amp.
Antenna: Maco M103C
Name: AZ 590

Post by Big blue » Tuesday, 22 April 2014, 15:32 PM

dirtyjob wrote:now and again I suffer from increasingly painfull gout attacks in my foot, sometimes its the right and sometimes it can be the left, I have gone to a foot doctor and he gave me some pills, all they did was make me bust out in a rash.

I am writing this here to see if any other members suffer from the same thing and what you do to ease the suffering ?
Here are some helpful tips. It usually starts in the big toes. Avoiding alcohol is a must from what I have heard..........

•Limit meat, poultry and fish. Animal proteins are high in purine. Avoid or severely limit high-purine foods, such as organ meats, herring, anchovies and mackerel. Red meat (beef, pork and lamb), fatty fish and seafood (tuna, shrimp, lobster and scallops) are associated with increased risk of gout. Because all meat, poultry and fish contain purines, limit your intake to 4 to 6 ounces (113 to 170 grams) daily.
•Cut back on fat. Saturated fat lowers the body's ability to eliminate uric acid. Choosing plant-based protein, such as beans and legumes, and low-fat or fat-free dairy products will help you cut down the amount of saturated fat in your diet. High-fat meals also contribute to obesity, which is linked to gout.
•Limit or avoid alcohol. Alcohol interferes with the elimination of uric acid from your body. Drinking beer, in particular, has been linked to gout attacks. If you're having an attack, avoid all alcohol. However, when you're not having an attack, drinking one or two 5-ounce (148-milliliter) servings a day of wine is not likely to increase your risk.
•Limit or avoid foods sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup. Fructose is the only carbohydrate known to increase uric acid. It is best to avoid beverages sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup, such as soft drinks or juice drinks. Juices that are 100 percent fruit juice do not seem to stimulate uric acid production as much.
•Choose complex carbohydrates. Eat more whole grains and fruits and vegetables and fewer refined carbohydrates, such as white bread, cakes and candy.
•Choose low-fat or fat-free dairy products. Some studies have shown that low-fat dairy products can help reduce the risk of gout.
•Drink plenty of fluids, particularly water. Fluids can help remove uric acid from your body. Aim for 8 to 16 glasses a day. A glass is 8 ounces (237 milliliter). There's also some evidence that drinking four to six cups of coffee a day lowers gout risk in men.
Last edited by Big blue on Tuesday, 22 April 2014, 15:58 PM, edited 2 times in total.

721HACKSAW
Donor
Donor

Post by 721HACKSAW » Tuesday, 22 April 2014, 15:33 PM

PA629 is right on, you need to get it under control, it's gonna take a visit to the Doctor. It's all about what you eat.

tenderfoot
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Radio: dx2517
Antenna: Imax 2000
Name: Ronnie

Post by tenderfoot » Tuesday, 22 April 2014, 17:25 PM

Have had it for years,,,,, one word ---prednisone, prednisone and more prednisone.

dirtyjob
Donor
Donor

Post by dirtyjob » Tuesday, 22 April 2014, 22:43 PM

I guess it is high time I really watch what I eat, I have been surviving on steak/potatoes and veggies all my life, prolly eat far too much red meat, I will have to change, I do also enjoy my beers but to get this taken care of I will have to adjust, I have been to a doctor that gave me a script, that led to a trip to the emergency room after the stuff had an affect on me "spots all over my upper body", I'm one of those stubborn fools that it takes quite a bit for me to even see a doctor, I will make a point to see another on this though.
Thanks for all the great responses on my issue, I hope I can get back to working tomorrow as I'm already bored with laying around the house.
"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
CBRT 18204

(Click image to enlarge)

Cruiser306
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Radio: RCI 2950dx
Antenna: Imax 2000
Name: Allan

Post by Cruiser306 » Wednesday, 23 April 2014, 16:52 PM

I have flare ups a couple of times a year, my feet & my knees. The doctor said blackberries, blueberries & cherries will help reduce uric acid too.

bluemeanie
Donor
Donor
Radio: LOTS OF TUBES
Antenna: Max 2000 MACO M105
Name: Mark Schwab
Home Phone: 9706253581
Cell Phone: 9709489991

Post by bluemeanie » Wednesday, 23 April 2014, 18:22 PM

Howdy
OK A few years ago I was having a flare constantly for months at a time. All the foods they say not to eat I did not eat or drink to excess by any means. I have hypertension and the doctor had prescribed a diuretic for my blood pressure. Was taking big time arthritis drugs. Would help for couple days then would be back. Went to new doctor took me off the diuretic haven't had a flare in years. Mind you this just my case. but this is something that can cause a flare. Dehydration invites the problem. I found that cherry juice and celery seed caplets helps a lot. The two together seem to help a lot. People that tell you to put ice or whatever on a foot have never had gout. When I was suffering could not even put a sheet over my toes and even a breeze blowing across would set me off. Even a shadow hurt. Remember gout is a form of arthritis that is caused by the crystals. Extended flares can cause permanent damage to a joint. Probably stating the obvious but hope it helps. Mark

Wednesday, 23 April 2014, 18:25 PM

Also remember that you can have gout in any joint. Settles to the foot more just simply because gravity works ans circulation. Captain Obvious to the rescue.

dirtyjob
Donor
Donor

Post by dirtyjob » Wednesday, 23 April 2014, 23:23 PM

your right on about "even a shadow hurts"

My sentiments exactly, oh.............

on a brighter note, I have my radio shack in my finished basement, well While I was home "again suffering" today shooting some skip, i noticed my socks were wet, I looked down and my rug was wet, the wall to my left is where it was coming from and is also where my 40 gallon hot water heater is located, damn thing went on me and filled my shack with water, looks like i will be hobbling to Home Depot today. :evil:
"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
CBRT 18204

(Click image to enlarge)

bluemeanie
Donor
Donor
Radio: LOTS OF TUBES
Antenna: Max 2000 MACO M105
Name: Mark Schwab
Home Phone: 9706253581
Cell Phone: 9709489991

Post by bluemeanie » Thursday, 24 April 2014, 4:50 AM

OH Man does that suck. Try and smile a little,hopefully that doesn't hurt. :biggrin:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic