Hobbies other Than CB's?

Just a off topic area for people to come and post.

Moderator: JR Moderator

str8stroke
Donor
Donor
Radio: Gold Cobra 29LTD
Antenna: 1/16 Wave Dipole
Name: Ric Flair
Home Phone: 27.235.000
Cell Phone: 8007597243

Hobbies other Than CB's?

Post by str8stroke » Sunday, 26 May 2013, 3:37 AM

I think we had a thread like this a few years back. So I figured to start it again.

I am into all kinds of goofy hobbies, some only last weeks, others have been for my whole life, some just my adult life. I like playing pool, shooting guns (when I can afford ammo), over the last few years I have gotten into buying cheap & sometimes expensive LED flashlights.
My favorite jewel of a light I saved a month for is the Fenix TK-75 with the extension tube. I am having so much fun with that dang thing. I camp alot, so last weekend I brought it and all the fellow campers were amazed! I think it gets hot enough to cook bacon! lol

Anyways, just a tad info on my hobbies, how about some of the other members? Just curious what we do other than CB's or Ham radio.
Ric Flair is on the Air, with Pink Underwear!!! WHAOOO!!!

BOWTECH
Donor
Donor

Re: Hobbies other Than CB's?

Post by BOWTECH » Sunday, 26 May 2013, 4:29 AM

Im a bodybuilder. I know the two sound funny but I love my radio and also to throw some iron around in the gym. And yes it's me. The two pics look a bit different because I had tattoo work done. But it's all me.

Last edited by BOWTECH on Sunday, 26 May 2013, 9:06 AM, edited 3 times in total.

Savoirfaire
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Name: Frank

Post by Savoirfaire » Sunday, 26 May 2013, 5:02 AM

Great question.

I like Ten pin bowling, Coaching youth bowlers, and computers.

And do not forget Amateur (Ham) Radio which is an extension of CB radio.

73, Frank 10 X-Ray 47 (SSB)

unit 451
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Radio: Galaxy DX-949
Antenna: Inverted V Dipole

Post by unit 451 » Sunday, 26 May 2013, 5:41 AM

Some of my hobbies besides CB Radio are vegetable gardening, lifting weights, and computers.

dirtyjob
Donor
Donor
Radio: Many
Antenna: Super Penetrator 500
Name: Mark
Home Phone: Unit 613 Boston
Cell Phone: CBRT 18204
Referrals: 2

Post by dirtyjob » Sunday, 26 May 2013, 11:30 AM

my hobbies include the obvious cb/ham and other than that I also enjoy pc gaming and I'm into internet radio, running my own 24/7 station "FairPlayRadio" for the last 7 years as described in this old thread viewtopic.php?f=101&t=40342" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Browning Golden Eagle Mark IVA - Mark III & Mark II
"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Kenwood TS-590S - Yaesu FT897D - W2IHY 8 Band EQ - W2IHY EQPlus
Yaesu FT-101E - Tram D201A - President Lincoln - CP2000
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Super Penetrator 500 5/8 Wave
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
"North East Corner Of Massachusetts 613"
CBRT 18204

(Click image to enlarge)

jessejamesdallas
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Referrals: 1

Post by jessejamesdallas » Sunday, 26 May 2013, 15:07 PM

eating, sleeping, working...not necessarily in that order....
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

De_Wildfire
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Washington/TRAM/K3
Antenna: Imax, G5RV, Invtd L

Post by De_Wildfire » Sunday, 26 May 2013, 15:10 PM

I like Traveling and road trips.

dirtyjob
Donor
Donor
Radio: Many
Antenna: Super Penetrator 500
Home Phone: Unit 613 Boston
Cell Phone: CBRT 18204
Referrals: 2

Post by dirtyjob » Sunday, 26 May 2013, 16:34 PM

jessejamesdallas wrote:eating, sleeping, working...not necessarily in that order....

lol those are necessities not hobbies :biggrin:
Browning Golden Eagle Mark IVA - Mark III & Mark II
"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Kenwood TS-590S - Yaesu FT897D - W2IHY 8 Band EQ - W2IHY EQPlus
Yaesu FT-101E - Tram D201A - President Lincoln - CP2000
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Super Penetrator 500 5/8 Wave
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
"North East Corner Of Massachusetts 613"
CBRT 18204

(Click image to enlarge)

jessejamesdallas
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by jessejamesdallas » Sunday, 26 May 2013, 17:26 PM

dirtyjob wrote:
jessejamesdallas wrote:eating, sleeping, working...not necessarily in that order....

lol those are necessities not hobbies :biggrin:
exactly...don't have the time or money for anything else. :mrgreen:
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

dime196604
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Omegaforce S45HP
Antenna: Will1000
Name: Dustin 664

Post by dime196604 » Sunday, 26 May 2013, 19:33 PM

I have been playing guitar for about fifteen years, just got my ham ticket a few weeks back, still have not even Tx'ed on any ham bands. And been getting into some backyard blacksmithing, got me a little homemade forge running off coal and a hair drier for a bellow. There is lots of YouTube vids on it if anyone is interested. Its not a easy hobby at all, but its a lost art and is amazing to have a rock hard peace of steel bend like copper and have something that can last a life time one completed.. But my main hobby is being a father, that what takes up 95% of my time, excluding work. My daughter is four and a half and my next daughter is due about anytime now. It may piss people of when I let hey key up and talk but she likes it and I think its amazing that my four year old likes talking on the radio, just gotta stay away from all the people who can't talk with respect
It ain't broke till you smell the smoke

Draxx2755
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Name: Scott
Cell Phone: 909-938-4870

Post by Draxx2755 » Sunday, 26 May 2013, 20:01 PM

Lapidary, cutting and polishing stones and making jewelry, astronomy- have a 10" Meade, and musician for the last 43 years..... Rock on!

zygoma
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: Hammarlund, Teaberry
Antenna: Skywire Loop, Zepp
Name: Merguetroid Q Rittzlesnat Esq.
Home Phone: 3.516, 7.016
Cell Phone: 14.016, 21.016

Post by zygoma » Sunday, 26 May 2013, 20:34 PM

Amateur radio (first got Novice in 1961 at age 9), currently Extra from when 20 wpm was required. Also enjoy restoring boatanchor radios (current project stack includes 3 Hammalund rcvrs, an Amplidyne Model 621 6&2-meter transmitter (AM/CW). I don't spend nearly as much time actually talking on the CBs in the shack as I do repairing and/or restoring to stock (I get to undo an ungodly amount of <HuH?> kinda previous work in them).
But the most fun I know how to have (with my clothes on) is performing music in front of live people. I play "low strings" meaning, in the classical world, 'cello and double bass. I've been playing them since 6th grade ('cello) and bass since 7th grade. Mostly that gets done in a tux with some scary guy waving a white stick in front of all of us, under the misguided illusion that we're going to play as he says. Well, at least we're supposed to....
And bass guitar for sheer fun & gas money. Anything as long as it's available as printed sheet music in standard notation -- used to do lots of recording session work -- or live playing of anything that people will listen to. I've got two favorite audience responses to those kinda gigs:
1) doing a Motown or classic rock, so the crowd recognizes the music and won't stop dancing; or
2) playing in a keyboard-driven band, preferably with a female backup singer, playing stuff from Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Depeche Mode, No Doubt, Evanescence, Dido, Loreena McKennitt, Sarah McLachlan. Most of this stuff *isn't* danceable, so it's great to look out and see the crowd all agape, mouthing "Wow". A couple of those artists were the incentive to get & learn to play the 5-string fretless bass.
Seeing the crowd do the "Wow" look when they realize we're doing "On the Turning Away" (Floyd) or "Waiting for the Night" (Depeche Mode) is just about enough to make my heart stop.

During those rare times when I've got none of the above to occupy my time, I like to do gunsmithing & reloading.

73 for now
I think, therefore I am. -- René Descartes
I think. I think I am. Therefore I am, I think. -- The Moody Blues

NrthrnCowboy
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.
Radio: Realistic TRC410
Antenna: 3' Magnet mount
Name: Luke
Cell Phone: 6167550693

Post by NrthrnCowboy » Monday, 27 May 2013, 15:55 PM

Air raid sirens. Yup you read that right! and my truck. I drive an 05 Silverado with a swapped in 6.0L Vortec Max, 2" leveling kit, tinted, 285/70R17 Wranglers, coming soon 6" rough Country lift kit, Fuel Hostage 20" whees wrapped wiht 35" mud tires. havent decided which brand I want to go with yet, toss up between Cooper and Toyo

KP68
Donor
Donor
Radio: KP68's Black Beauty
Antenna: Maco M103C Mr Coily
Name: Ken

Post by KP68 » Tuesday, 28 May 2013, 6:08 AM

For me, music and electronics. I was playing in rock/hard rock bands since I was about sixteen years old. During my years playing I racked up many many hours in recording studios and played in front of thousands of people. The last band I was in was by far the most fun and fell into the "almost made it" category. We were receiving heavy radio play on two big stations for about a year in our city and we were taking road trips to NY city to play for record companies. Any musician knows how awesome it feels when your driving down in the road in your car and one of your song comes on the radio. Today I still play a little bit here and there but what I really love doing is building effects for guitar and bass. If anyone is interested in building their own effects from scratch, I strongly recommend "The Stomp Box Cookbook". Right now I have the second edition. All op amp based electronics and each project has full circuit explanation, schematics, wiring diagrams and PCB trace patterns. If anybody would like to get into this and has questions, feel free to send me a PM.

Slyguy
Radio: Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom
Antenna: Yes
Name: Sly

Post by Slyguy » Tuesday, 28 May 2013, 14:01 PM

I enjoy tinkering in the garage with whatever, and flying when I can afford it. You'll find me messing with radios for the most part though.
Slyguy
Zero Six Three
Sherman Texas

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!

tractor guy
Donor
Donor
Radio: President Washington
Antenna: Ground Plane
Name: Joe
Home Phone: 1-800-MUDDUCK

Post by tractor guy » Tuesday, 28 May 2013, 17:03 PM

You guys might find this hard to believe, but my first love is my antique tractors. I have 7 or 8 of them that run. I have one in the garage I'm restoring now. I have a display case full of toys, and a room full of "stuff". I got started on Minneapolis-Moline tractors when I was in my teens when I got my grandfathers old MM. It is still "earning" a living on the farm. The range in age from 1937 for the oldest to 1955 for the newest. It is kinda a family affair.

This picture is a few years old, but it's me and the kids on the 1937 that belongs to the pig tailed princess in the seat. I don't have Trapper267's body work skills so the fenders aren't done yet.......

Joe
1953 Tractor Guy
Central Indiana

Trapper267
Donor
Donor
Radio: RCI-2995DX
Antenna: Imax 2000
Name: Scott Smith
Referrals: 3

Post by Trapper267 » Tuesday, 28 May 2013, 19:28 PM

Ok, Joe lol

Besides the radio and now a IC-718, Witch, yes, Critter and BEN!!! I need to study for the Ticket. I'm into restoring a few car's. I still have my 1970 El Camino. (First car) i bought and currently restoring my Wifes 64 Mustang. Here is a pic. of it and i'm in the process of media blasting it.

C-ya Trapp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My Skype name is ( slingslingbinks )

jessejamesdallas
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by jessejamesdallas » Tuesday, 28 May 2013, 19:36 PM

tractor guy wrote:You guys might find this hard to believe, but my first love is my antique tractors. I have 7 or 8 of them that run. I have one in the garage I'm restoring now. I have a display case full of toys, and a room full of "stuff". I got started on Minneapolis-Moline tractors when I was in my teens when I got my grandfathers old MM. It is still "earning" a living on the farm. The range in age from 1937 for the oldest to 1955 for the newest. It is kinda a family affair.

This picture is a few years old, but it's me and the kids on the 1937 that belongs to the pig tailed princess in the seat. I don't have Trapper267's body work skills so the fenders aren't done yet.......

Joe
Nice tractor...Better be careful on it tho...I had a friend back in High School that got killed on one like that. It turned over on him. That was one of the biggest problems with those with the front wheels together.

tractor guy
Donor
Donor
Radio: President Washington
Antenna: Ground Plane
Name: Joe
Home Phone: 1-800-MUDDUCK

Post by tractor guy » Tuesday, 28 May 2013, 19:39 PM

Hey JJD,

Thanks for the concern. We don't go anywhere fast on the old timers. I had a close call in my younger days and had one on two wheels. We go slow and enjoy the ride now.

Joe
1953 Tractor Guy
Central Indiana

jessejamesdallas
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by jessejamesdallas » Tuesday, 28 May 2013, 20:12 PM

Can't go too fast on one of those anyway. lol...I remember my Grandfather had Farmall that looked similar, and he had concrete in the tires...never had to worry about flats! ...not sure how you would ever change the tires tho like that.

str8stroke
Donor
Donor

Post by str8stroke » Wednesday, 10 July 2013, 3:43 AM

Thread bump! Noticed we have a few new members, so hoping to get them to chime in on their hobbies other than CB! Jump in guys, don't be shy!! :aaargh:

Grinder74
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Name: Chris

Post by Grinder74 » Wednesday, 10 July 2013, 5:49 AM

Billiards and motorcycles. I just sold my bike and my pool table is buried with the mother in-laws stuff. Then their is the cb's that I have been into for a couple years, yah, just a noob!

MDYoungblood
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Post by MDYoungblood » Wednesday, 10 July 2013, 14:00 PM

When I was younger my father and I got into what are known as steam traction machines. I father grew up actually working with them in a family run sawmill and farm. I had gotten into it as I purchased a 42HP double cylinder Frick tractor for my father and moved it around local events. I no longer own the tractor, I donated it to a show on the eastern shore when my father past away. I still attend the local events and active with restoration of equipment. I am posting a website for those that may be interested.
http://marylandsteam.org/mshsweb/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3's

Greg
ImageImageImage

"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD Image WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld
Maxon HCB-40WX
Antennas
Avanti Sigma II
Homemade Full Wave Loop
Homemade 1/2 wave Dipole
Hustler 102" SS Whip and Hustler Ball Mount

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department

Chernobyl1
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Radio: Expo Bushranger
Antenna: Itron S/S
Name: Lee
Cell Phone: 61042252850

Post by Chernobyl1 » Wednesday, 10 July 2013, 18:57 PM

I've been borderline obsessed with music since I was about 9 years old, I started playing the guitar when I was about 10 or so and still play every now and then to this day (Bit rusty though) - I found a program called FL Studio when I was younger and when I met my (now) wife, she wanted to sing, so I started learning about synthesis etc to start writing "electronic/pop" styled music, I might link it one day, at least so you can all groan and go "jeez these young people nowadays!" haha :)
I also enjoy Gardening (Vegetables), Making things - Anything really out of scrap materials I have lying around, my last 2 projects were a trailer for my mountain bike and a small racing "seat" for my daughter to sit in while playing computer racing games (like a half cockpit of a car but cramped like F1 - I couldnt get in and out without help)
And Computer Games, lately I'm playing ARMA III and Eve: Online, I also enjoy modding Phones, whether the older style or newer smartphones I love tinkering with all kinds of tech and I've done so since I was about 5 (Macintosh SE/30 was my first machine)

silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: President Lincoln 2
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Cell Phone: --------------

Favorite hobby other than radio communication

Post by silvereagle1 » Saturday, 09 November 2013, 17:32 PM

Just wondering what other hobby you guys like other than radio communication. I'll start with mine..
One of my hobbies is model railroading:

President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee

rayray1963
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Old School
Name: Ray

Post by rayray1963 » Saturday, 09 November 2013, 17:50 PM

silvereagle1 wrote:Just wondering what other hobby you guys like other than radio communication. I'll start with mine..
One of my hobbies is model railroading:

Thats cool. I use to build layouts years ago. I was big into N gage. But my other hobbies are building firearms. Been a competive shooter since I was a kid. Collecting fisrt edition books is another passion.
Freedom Isn't Free, Someone Has To Pay

silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by silvereagle1 » Saturday, 09 November 2013, 19:10 PM

This is an N scale layout too. I model the Southern Railway prior to the Southern Railway and Norfolk and Western Merger.
President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee

str8stroke
Donor
Donor

Post by str8stroke » Sunday, 10 November 2013, 5:42 AM

When I was a kid, a friend of mines dad was into that. I can vaguely remember seeing something like that in his garage. I was amazed, but never caught on to me. As a kiddo, I didnt have the money or the room. I can tell its alot of work for sure. Looks so neat. Nice post

coach4life
Donor
Donor
Radio: Cobra 29 LTD
Antenna: Wilson 1000
Name: Tom

Post by coach4life » Sunday, 10 November 2013, 6:00 AM

Coach youth sports - baseball, football, soccer, basketball in two age groups. Love it - always have and always will. Also shooting and 4 wheeling with my grandson when time allows. Since adopting our grandkids a few years back, I have become very proficient at being a chauffeur.
Tom

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, your right"

Foliant
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: K40 SF300
Name: Patrick

Post by Foliant » Sunday, 10 November 2013, 7:46 AM

I like to gourmandize and i love to cook for at least two persons (regardless my weight is under 90kg :icon_e_wink: )

Also im a shooter and do some reloading.
In Germany you have to absolve some tests, may be even a psychiatric one and have to beg the regulatory agency for the grant of a license... (One for shooting and owning a gun, one to buy ammo, one for reloading - and carrying isnt possible for citizens except youre jewish or politician)

So we got 80 Channel CB including FM but you in the US have a greater value of Freedom...

Regards
Patrick
de 13PR87

silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by silvereagle1 » Sunday, 10 November 2013, 7:51 AM

str8stroke wrote:When I was a kid, a friend of mines dad was into that. I can vaguely remember seeing something like that in his garage. I was amazed, but never caught on to me. As a kiddo, I didnt have the money or the room. I can tell its alot of work for sure. Looks so neat. Nice post
Thanks str8stroke, it's work but fun work. It's nothing more than plaster and wads of newspaper and imagination. I've got 12 years in this layout and constantly changing things around. it's a small layout but that's the advantage of N scale it doesn't take much space to look big.

Sunday, 10 November 2013, 9:56 AM

President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee

str8stroke
Donor
Donor

Post by str8stroke » Monday, 11 November 2013, 5:04 AM

Foliant wrote:I like to gourmandize and i love to cook for at least two persons (regardless my weight is under 90kg :icon_e_wink: )

Also im a shooter and do some reloading.
In Germany you have to absolve some tests, may be even a psychiatric one and have to beg the regulatory agency for the grant of a license... (One for shooting and owning a gun, one to buy ammo, one for reloading - and carrying isnt possible for citizens except youre jewish or politician)

So we got 80 Channel CB including FM but you in the US have a greater value of Freedom...

Regards
Patrick
gour•man•dize (ˈgʊər mənˌdaɪz)

v.i. -dized, -diz•ing.
to enjoy good food and drink, esp. in lavish quantity

I had to google that one. LOL. Awesome vocabulary word for me. Gonna use that one.

So we got 80 Channel CB including FM but you in the US HAD a greater value of Freedom...

Fixed it for you. :rambo:

Sporty Mike
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Alot of 'em!!
Antenna: S.S. 102 / Maco V5/8
Name: Michael
Home Phone: 205-683-9333
Cell Phone: 205-400-5810

Post by Sporty Mike » Monday, 11 November 2013, 14:31 PM

All of you that have known me for a while know that I'm firmly addicted to radio, but........I also have a movie collection of about 700 DVDs and I like reading horror novels and historical books. I LOVE to cook and do so whenever I can, I enjoy sampling craft beers (frequently) and of course there is my namesake Harley XL1200 Sportster. I like to collect anything old and interesting and basically enjoy tinkering with just about anything. As far as music? I can play the heck out of a stereo, you should hear me....a true virtuoso!

Mike

Sent from Sporty Mike's phone.
Redbeard 759 , your non profit Prophet from the 'Bam!!!

silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by silvereagle1 » Saturday, 18 January 2014, 8:51 AM

Model truck kits. My favorites are the older ones from the seventies made by AMT out of Troy Michigan. I have a whole closet full of them un built. Sometimes when I have spare time I'll start one and work on it little by little thus taking several months to finish. The one pictured is actually a re-issue of a vintage kit from circa 1974 I think. They just used the old molds. I have the original one new in box though and Its about 30 years old. this truck is a White Freightliner cabover. One of my favorite tractors of all time.
President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee

thuffman03
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Radio: General Lee
Antenna: Wilson 5000
Name: Tom

Post by thuffman03 » Tuesday, 21 January 2014, 7:41 AM

I have two other interests right now. Home audio and my Dodge Challenger SRT8.

Unit243
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Radio: Kenwood TS440SAT
Antenna: Maco 5/8 wave

Post by Unit243 » Tuesday, 21 January 2014, 9:24 AM

My second hobby is building cool hotrods for myself , my last one was a `1983 Mustang GT which I use to dragrace on the weekend , I sold that car and I'll be looking for something else after my Fiance & I get married.

Kenwood TS-440S , Turner Plus 3 and a Maco 5/8th's wave.... 1137 Southern Ontario Standin' by !!

Kaos
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Radio: Stryker 955HPC
Antenna: 102" Whip

Post by Kaos » Tuesday, 21 January 2014, 10:21 AM

I have a lot of hobbies. I'll keep it to the ones that I have spent the most time doing; shooting (bows and firearms), gunsmithing, car audio, computers, aquariums (mainly reefs), wood working, and working on cars and trucks.
3-1-6 out in the stix......

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic