Very general question

Just any other questions that you don't see a forum for? Go ahead and post here.
JetSetter
Handle: JetSetter/822
Antenna: 11m Dipole, PAT-12, Browning BR-28
Radio: RCI-2995DXCF

Very general question

Post by JetSetter »

Hello CBRT, This is going to be a simple 2 part question. Now, I've tried searching google. I've also been going through some of the threads here. But can't seem to find a good straight answer. :shock: First of all, I'm using a Galaxy DX959, with a power adapter from a laptop. It puts out 12v @ 3A Now I'm wondering if that's enough amps. I read you need 1 amp for every watt your radio puts out. Also, when I do a dead key, it reads only 3 amps. If I whistle/talk, it jumps to 6 watts. Does that mean my radio has been modified. As I thought the output was only to be no higher than 4 watts. And what is a good dead key? And the other part of this is. Why when I switch to ssb, my meter does not move when I do a DK. Not matter if it's set to swr, mod or power. Thanks all :biggrin:

"822" Were Alive and Kickin'
From the land of Lincoln
Namvet69
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Handle: Gunner
Radio: 2970n2 Yaesu 891

Re: Very general question

Post by Namvet69 »

That radio should not draw any more then 6-7 amps. What amp fuse is inline ? 10 ?
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

A 3w DK swinging to 6w's is about normal...If the radio had been modified in anyway (peaked and tuned) then it may swing up in the 20w range...

As for SSB...you won't have a DK...No DK on SSB just keying the Mic...also normal.

Your power supply also should be fine...
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
JetSetter

Post by JetSetter »

jessejamesdallas wrote: January 25th, 2018, 6:47 pm A 3w DK swinging to 6w's is about normal...If the radio had been modified in anyway (peaked and tuned) then it may swing up in the 20w range...

As for SSB...you won't have a DK...No DK on SSB just keying the Mic...also normal.

Your power supply also should be fine...
Thank you.Understand everything except the ssb. How about if I whistle or speak. Should it not move then at least :?:

From the land of Lincoln
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

On SSB when you speak or whistle into the Mic, the needle should move yes...just be sure the RF Power and MIC Gain knob are turned up...
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

The simplest way to see how much amperage a radio needs is to pop the fuse and check it's size. That laptop PS might be fine but it won't let the radio perform at its full potential since the adjustments were made at 13.8v and even rated at 3 amps I doubt it really can do that. An easy why to check SSB output would be to download a 440hz or 1kc tone on something like iTunes (what I use) on your computer, turn the volume 25% and hold the microphone close to the computers speaker, the wattage reading should be close to 12w.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
JetSetter

Post by JetSetter »

jessejamesdallas wrote: January 26th, 2018, 4:30 am On SSB when you speak or whistle into the Mic, the needle should move yes...just be sure the RF Power and MIC Gain knob are turned up...
Ok, turned RF and Mic up. The needle moves when it's set to power on ssb. Still wont move when set to mod. Can't wait to get my power mic .

From the land of Lincoln
JetSetter

Post by JetSetter »

MDYoungblood wrote: January 26th, 2018, 5:40 am The simplest way to see how much amperage a radio needs is to pop the fuse and check it's size. That laptop PS might be fine but it won't let the radio perform at its full potential since the adjustments were made at 13.8v and even rated at 3 amps I doubt it really can do that. An easy why to check SSB output would be to download a 440hz or 1kc tone on something like iTunes (what I use) on your computer, turn the volume 25% and hold the microphone close to the computers speaker, the wattage reading should be close to 12w.

3's

Greg
Checked the fuse, and it's rated at 4 amps. So I guess I'll look for a 5 amp supply. As far as the tone test. Needle did not move on 440hz, even at full volume. So then I tried 1kc tone. The only way I got the needle up to 12 watts was to turn the volume up from 25% to 75%. Boy that hurts the ears. And I tried with mic and RF all the way up, from there original 50% setting.

From the land of Lincoln
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

It's probably working like it should...Only way to be sure tho would be to find a local with a ssb radio, and do a "radio check" with him and ask him how it sounds...You most likely will need to use the Clarifier Knob to fine-tune him in tho so he doesn't sound like Donald Duck...(this is normal on ssb)
JetSetter

Post by JetSetter »

I will try that. As of now, the only contacts have been local. Have heard nothing on ssb

From the land of Lincoln