Mirage (RCI) 2950 Backup Battery?

Just any other questions that you don't see a forum for? Go ahead and post here.
DNASREP000
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Mirage (RCI) 2950 Backup Battery?

Post by DNASREP000 »

My Mirage 2950 is acting up. If I turn it off it takes about an hour to "warm up" and start working correctly. The screen is lit up, but blank.

I read about a backup battery in the radio, kind of like a CMOS watch type battery in a computer.

I opened the radio and checked behind the small speaker for the beeps, there was no battery.

This means there's a capacitor that may be bad, since thats what keeps the charge for the channel memory.

Does anyone know WHICH capacitor is the one I need to check for the backup memory?

Thank you.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Mirage (RCI) 2950 Backup Battery?

Post by MDYoungblood »

The battery is located on the back side of the display board, It's not the easiest to see or get too.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

since it is a Mirage I would think it has a battery for back up. a lot of them are taped to the buzzer on the back of the display as MDY mentioned.. it will be about in the center of the face and with all the wires running in that area it is hard to see.I usually get a 3.5 volt disk battery and a holder for the battery and install that set up. the stock batterys come with the wires soldered to the battery. you can do the same to a new battery but you take a chance of damaging the battery tinning the case to solder the wires on it. the last one I did the battery was glued to the buzzer then both were glued to the board for the face about in the middle.
jon6667
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: dipole
Radio: icom 7300

Post by jon6667 »

all the battery is for. it keeps your settings when you turn off the radio. has nothing to do with functions of the radio. you have some other issue.
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

what is his problem?
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

I would say the battery is one of the problems, the age of the radio it might be due for some recapping as well, not to mention they are known to have some cold solder joints. In the area you live (Texas) it shouldn't take an hour to warm up as you say it does.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

not sure what year made or if all of them have them ,but there is 2 1/8 watt resisters on the side of the front panel that supplies the 5 volts to the front end that heat up and go bad will act like this one is doing. the resisters warm up and start putting voltage to the front control. a possibility it is them also.
DNASREP000
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by DNASREP000 »

I removed the buzzer speaker and there was no battery behind it, Just metal.
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

can you post a picture of the back of the face showing what is in that area.
jon6667
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: dipole
Radio: icom 7300

Post by jon6667 »

like i said the battery is so you don't lose your memories and settings. it has nothing to do with the way the radio performs.
i have no clue what the problem is. but its not the battery. if i can see pictures i might be able to help.
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

also look on the sides of the front panel and see if there is 2 resisters side by side that goes to the front panel. if they have burned some can cause the front panel to act up. I looked at the newer schematic and for the life of me I can not find what they used after the battery was pulled and can not find the 2 resisters. looked at the parts list and nothing jumped out as a battery of any kind for the face on the newer versions. they show a X601 and a U601 for the front panel that could have taken the place of the battery.I have not worked on one of the newer ones and the old ones I have one of them but nothing like what you have. maybe Jon6667 can help you out. try to put up a picture of the front end of the radio.

-- January 20 2017 --

also I would touch up solder joints on the face and main board where the face hooks up at. make sure any plugs that hho the face up are making a good connection by unplugging and replugging them in case they have a loose connection.

-- January 21 2017 --

a buddy of mine tracked down how the unit keeps its memory. it is a eprom U6006. should have 8 legs on it and it is a smt part. the odds of it going bad is rather slim. U6006 is the part location.

-- January 21 2017 --

part number is a 93LC46. it has 8 legs on it. you can look it up on the data sheet and check voltages.