Strange Things going on since Kl 503 added.

Just any other questions that you don't see a forum for. Go ahead and post here.

Moderator: JR Moderator

silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: President Lincoln 2
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Name: Mark
Cell Phone: --------------

Strange Things going on since Kl 503 added.

Post by silvereagle1 » Thursday, 26 September 2013, 11:37 AM

I've got a few issues going on which may or may not be a big deal. One or two I think is probably simple to fix but I'd like to see hat you guys say because I'm sure a few of you have run into this problem and know how to fix it.
1- when I talk sideband on the kl 503 my air conditioner fan stops blowing until I stop talking. Doesn't do it on setting 1 but it does on 2 3 4 5 and 6. I know it's drawing the amps. I am driving on the interstate when this happens not sitting with motor running.
2- also when talking sideband while driving my motor bogs down while I'm talking then smoothes back out when I stop talking.

I'm running 10 gauge wire straight from the battery. Will 8 gauge fix this or is it just too much amp for a car?

My other issue is with my galaxy. Maybe bad timing but I noticed today that my galaxy meter was acting a little nutty and my mic gain knob is getting hot. You can feel it through the plastic. Mic gain was showing near to none reading and needle real jumpy. You could actually peck on the radio and the meter start working like it was stuck.. The first time anyway. But needle acting nutty and knob hot?? everything goes back to normal with my meter when that knob cools down. What is making this happen with the meter and knob? The fact that I put the amp in the car have anything to do with the meter issue?
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee

MDYoungblood
Logged in via: iPad
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Re: Strange Things going on since Kl 503 added.

Post by MDYoungblood » Thursday, 26 September 2013, 12:49 PM

You ask a question on another post asking if the amp would interfere with your electrical system, well you answered your on question, "Yes". First thing to do is read the "Owners Manual" and see what runs what and what voids the car's warranty. I would not use the amp driving down the road if it is interfering with the engine, don't want to have an accident. Sounds like RF is getting into the engines computer, fuel injection system, and the maintenance control computer, the blower fan. Fixes are ferrite beads on power leads to the computers, most likely to each injector, best SWR you can get, coax away from electrical/electronic components, grounds on everything.

3's

Greg
ImageImageImage

"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD Image WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld
Maxon HCB-40WX
Antennas
Avanti Sigma II
Homemade Full Wave Loop
Homemade 1/2 wave Dipole
Hustler 102" SS Whip and Hustler Ball Mount

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department

wi 544
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: several
Antenna: Gizmotchy
Name: jay

Post by wi 544 » Thursday, 26 September 2013, 13:10 PM

I had a buddy's suv start doing weird stuff after his amp install, engine would buck and almost stall,,, it wasn't because of the amps drawn it was interference with the engine sensors, mainly the maf on this vehicle, I could watch my scan tool data and when he would key up the maf grams/sec would spike way up and cause the engine to flood out, buck, die. he got some metal type tape and covered the wires for the maf to the ecm and grounded the tape shield and it was fine

need to find someone with a good scan tool and see if any data parameters change when you key up.

silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by silvereagle1 » Thursday, 26 September 2013, 14:04 PM

Well if it is the 503 interfering with my car components then I'll just box it up and throw it in the closet and chaulk it up as an experimental loss and put the ole 200P back in the car until I can get the 203p. I never had problems out of the smaller amp. Now I wonder if the 503 was messing my galaxy's meter up as well? Like I said the mic gain knob was getting hot as I key down and talk and meter acting nutty. I was adjusting my mic gain is what made me notice the warmth of the knob. After the knob cooled off meter started working correctly again.
Last edited by silvereagle1 on Thursday, 26 September 2013, 14:14 PM, edited 1 time in total.
President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee

str8stroke
Donor
Donor
Radio: Gold Cobra 29LTD
Antenna: 1/16 Wave Dipole
Name: Ric Flair
Home Phone: 27.235.000
Cell Phone: 8007597243

Post by str8stroke » Thursday, 26 September 2013, 14:11 PM

A few ideas, but not in any particular order, and just guesses.

"A spurious emission is any radio frequency not deliberately created or transmitted, especially in a device which normally does create other frequencies. A harmonic or other signal outside a transmitter's assigned channel would be considered a spurious emission." Wiki A example is one fellow was running a few hundred watts on his cb with a cheap amp, not only was it transmitting on the cb frequencies, but it had harmonics all the way into 160mhz. Which happened to be a local emergency responders freq. Needless to say, he had no idea, and the FCC came down hard on him.

These nasty things can cause all kinds of problems. Its ONE of the reasons CB amps are legal by FCC standards. They lack proper filters and such.

Improper grounding on your CB gear and or vehicle components. The RFI could be sneaking in that way??

Anyways good luck.
Ric Flair is on the Air, with Pink Underwear!!! WHAOOO!!!

silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by silvereagle1 » Thursday, 26 September 2013, 14:20 PM

Just a thought, I wonder if I get the filter that RM makes would correct the problem? RFI low pass filter. It needs one anyway.. Seems like a slim to none chance but who knows. Would the low pass filter keep the interference from getting in my cars computer and electronics?
Last edited by silvereagle1 on Thursday, 26 September 2013, 19:12 PM, edited 1 time in total.
President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee

wi 544
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: several
Antenna: Gizmotchy
Name: jay

Post by wi 544 » Thursday, 26 September 2013, 14:21 PM

pm sent, let me know what you think.

silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by silvereagle1 » Thursday, 26 September 2013, 14:26 PM

wi 544 wrote:I had a buddy's suv start doing weird stuff after his amp install, engine would buck and almost stall,,, it wasn't because of the amps drawn it was interference with the engine sensors, mainly the maf on this vehicle, I could watch my scan tool data and when he would key up the maf grams/sec would spike way up and cause the engine to flood out, buck, die. he got some metal type tape and covered the wires for the maf to the ecm and grounded the tape shield and it was fine

need to find someone with a good scan tool and see if any data parameters change when you key up.
That pretty much sums it up as far as the engine stalls on the interstate. Bucking like I bought bad gas.

Thursday, 26 September 2013, 18:28 PM

UPDATE: this may turn out to be nothing but could it make logical sense?
After inspecting all of my cables i found my antenna cable a little loose at the amp. (it's a k40 type connector). the pl 259 was very tight but the other piece that reduces the size of the pl 259 was loose. loose enough that it did make a reception difference when i jiggled the coax. like a short. not grounded well... i hate that feature with the k40 connections they are hand tight and loosen easily. ok, what i did was tighten it back up with pliers this time to where it can not lossen back up again.. I took a thirty minute drive and talked on AM and SSB on all power levels with no problems at all. No air condition turning off, car ran great etc. COULD THE LOOSE CONNECTION BEEN CAUSING WHAT GREG WAS TALKING ABOUT? or did i just get lucky with my thirty minute drive without a problem?
President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee

'Doc
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Referrals: 1

Post by 'Doc » Thursday, 26 September 2013, 19:52 PM

That's one of those either/or/and both kind of answers. If the problem doesn't reoccur, then I'd say you found the problem. And then there's the other side of that answer...
- 'Doc

MDYoungblood
Logged in via: iPad
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Post by MDYoungblood » Thursday, 26 September 2013, 20:18 PM

Like 'Doc said, that could have been the root of the problem. UHF connectors are a just like water pipes, if the joint 's not tight it's going to leak.

3's

Greg
ImageImageImage

"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD Image WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld
Maxon HCB-40WX
Antennas
Avanti Sigma II
Homemade Full Wave Loop
Homemade 1/2 wave Dipole
Hustler 102" SS Whip and Hustler Ball Mount

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department

222DBFL
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: Icom 746
Antenna: Sirio Vecotor 4K
Name: Sean McCarthy

Post by 222DBFL » Friday, 27 September 2013, 3:49 AM

I would ditch that k40 connector and solder an a good connector on. This seems to be an issue only when running power as I have problems with the factory 2 piece connector as well. Replace it with a good solder type connector and it should resolve your issue.

jessejamesdallas
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Referrals: 1

Post by jessejamesdallas » Friday, 27 September 2013, 4:52 AM

Problem is bad or not enough, grounding...Do some bonding of the vehicle and you'll be surprised at how many electrical issues go away... and how much better your radio performs.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by silvereagle1 » Friday, 27 September 2013, 9:32 AM

This is the type of pl 259 that k40 uses.. mine was loose at the connection point in the picture.. seems minor enough but it was just enough wiggle room to make a difference in receive mode so i know it had to be making a difference in transmit mode as well. and since i"ve tightened the crap out of it it appears ok now.

Saturday, 28 September 2013, 21:29 PM

It's been a couple of days now and everything is fine with the radio amp combo. Must have been the connection messing with my cars computer system. It's weird how a less than tight connection can screw up the whole world by just pressing the transmit button. Maybe this topic and post can help someone else down the road.
President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic