Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: President Lincoln 2
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Name: Mark
Cell Phone: --------------

Uniden 980SSB with KL 200P

Post by silvereagle1 » Saturday, 06 July 2013, 18:33 PM

I've asked this question a few times at various places and I pretty much get the same answer but I 'm the type that likes to research as much as possible. Many years ago I used to have a Midland SSB with a Silver Streak 150. I had the radio tuned to match the Silver Streak by A retired U S Navy Radio operator/Builder. I ran that radio for several years until I finally sold it one day. I don't regret selling the radio but I'd give anything if I would have kept the Silver Streak 150. It was in mint condition when I sold it. Now here's my question..... I recently got back in the game so to speak. I bought the 980 SSB and a RM KL 200P (couldn't find a Silver Streak) Ok I did all my research before bought anything. I turned down the dead key to 2 watts. I did not turn down the SSB ALC because I have been told by several people it's not necessary... Is it really NOT necessary? and if it's not then why? It just seems to me that you should also turn down the alc as well. Am I missing something. wouldn't the pep over drive the amp if not set back even just a little? Thanks all, Mark

Skipper 169
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: Yaesu 101-E
Antenna: Antron 99
Name: Mr. Mudd Duck

Re: Uniden 980SSB with KL 200P

Post by Skipper 169 » Saturday, 06 July 2013, 18:59 PM

I sold my 980 a few months ago and already forgot what knobs it had. On the new radio, I have RF Power, which the 980 did not have, and a Mic Gain knob. Mic Gain is where I get my swing from. I can adjust it from nothing to way up, so I adjust while watching the meter to not over drive my 200 P, the meter is after the amp. I know about where to put the knobs, but I still slam the needle on the peg sometimes when modulating. :jokercolor:
2WR169 Wisconsin

Some people just need a high five.... In the Face.... With a Chair...

mkube396
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Radio: Uniden Washington
Name: Matthew

Post by mkube396 » Saturday, 06 July 2013, 22:38 PM

from what I was reading the 200p's don't do well on SSB the 203p's do
Uniden Washington
Kenwood ts-2000
Cobra 148GTL + KL503

Skipper 169
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Skipper 169 » Sunday, 07 July 2013, 3:44 AM

I can't hear my own radio, but the reports I get are that mine is very clear, quite loud and sounds really good to other people all over, from Canada, around to Texas. Some say it several times. Which of course makes me feel pretty good. Especially since mine was given to me by a friend. :)

Havent heard a "gate" of it yet though.

Jul 7th, '13, 05:46

Now that I think on it, all the little RM's I have heard out there also, sounded very good to me. And I only talk SSB, except when local.
2WR169 Wisconsin

silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by silvereagle1 » Sunday, 07 July 2013, 16:11 PM

Pot Locations For The 980SSB
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee

Skipper 169
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Skipper 169 » Sunday, 07 July 2013, 16:18 PM

Have you seen the videos on YouTube about the locations of all these parts? It's pretty clear.
2WR169 Wisconsin

silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by silvereagle1 » Sunday, 07 July 2013, 16:19 PM

I downloaded this Picture from the internet so don't take my word for the locations of these pots. Research all you can just to ease your own mind before you make any adjustments. I found a dozen different websites that show the exact same thing. Cbradiomagazine.com has a youtube video on this radio and shows the internal view with pot locations. I hope the picture is plain enough to see all the locations. This same picture is at cbradio.nl under Uniden Bearcat 980 SSB Modifactions. I believe it is a pdf file.

Sunday, 07 July 2013, 18:22 PM

I still wonder if I should turn down the alc just a little bit. Everyone says no. will SSB not over drive an amp?
President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee

Skipper 169
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Skipper 169 » Sunday, 07 July 2013, 16:40 PM

Yes, I have seen that pic. Just my preferences, but I thought that video was much clearer and easy to see. I had it playing, as I was looking inside my own radio at the same time. :biggrin:

I don't know enough about the ALC to have an opinion on that.
2WR169 Wisconsin

silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by silvereagle1 » Sunday, 07 July 2013, 17:15 PM

I think I'll leave the alc alone until i do more research on it. If it doesn't need to be bothered with I won't touch it. I really haven't found any information where anyone has turned it down to run a amp. it's always dead key only. I think 2 watts is good enough though to drive the kl 200p. But then again there is a lot of opinions out there and there are those who say turn it down to a half watt to one and a half watt. I just don't see why turn it down that far. If you are not using the amp how could a half watt get past your hood so to say. would that even kick in your relay? What do you think about 2 watts? it seems like a happy medium to me.
President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee

Skipper 169
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Skipper 169 » Sunday, 07 July 2013, 17:35 PM

OK, well, in my case, this is maybe an opinion, but it's an "informed" opinion, since I use and am actually running this little amp right this moment. I just talked to Independence Missouri on it and I got the gate to prove it. :icon_e_wink:

So, what I have found, in AM, you want the watts as low as they will go. Two is fine, 4 would be too much. In my opinion. I say that because at two watts, and just a little Mic Gain, I go right straight to 100 watts, do not pass Go. That's as far as I am going to push mine. I do wish I could turn the power down some more though, but I am not going to open my case. I suppose I could turn the voltage down.

Now then, In SSB, which I use st 100%, I set the radio wattage to about 4 watts. I can so this on my radio. Then I crank up the Mic Gain to just about Maximum on the dial, then I do a modulation test. [This test requires a Watt Meter, after the amp and before your antenna, that is good to at least 200 watts] So I watch the modulation as a speak, just speak, no auuuuuuuudio yet. I watch the needle and tweak the "Voltage" on the power supply to get close to but under 14 volts. This brings it to about 90 watt's and then I sneak in an auuuuudio and watch it go to 100 or more. That's where I leave it.

I do set about every time I turn on the radio, just in case a knob got turned by accident.

So, thinking over that, I do not think the ALC would hurt to leave it where it's set at. But get the final meter in line if possible. It's really the safest way. :mrgreen:
2WR169 Wisconsin

silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by silvereagle1 » Monday, 15 July 2013, 8:26 AM

Monday, 15 July 2013, 10:37 AM

This is my set up. The Uniden 980SSB and the RM KL 200P With a Gamber Johnson 212 rack. I bought the Kl 200p From DNJ Radio. He ships very fast. Priorty Mail. I live in Tennessee And received mine in less than a week. It works very well.

Monday, 15 July 2013, 10:45 AM

Monday, 15 July 2013, 10:46 AM

My antenna
President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee

MDYoungblood
Logged in via: iPad
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Post by MDYoungblood » Monday, 15 July 2013, 15:49 PM

Nice install silvereagle1 but it wouldn't go over well in my Altima, wife would like to have legs not hanging out the window.

3's

Greg
ImageImageImage

"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD Image WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld
Maxon HCB-40WX
Antennas
Avanti Sigma II
Homemade Full Wave Loop
Homemade 1/2 wave Dipole
Hustler 102" SS Whip and Hustler Ball Mount

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department

silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by silvereagle1 » Monday, 15 July 2013, 18:25 PM

i had to be a little creative because of that reason. i bought extra floor mats and used one for my install. you see to keep the rack from tipping over i put a board under the floor mat and screwed the rack to the floormat/ board. it appears to be mounted to the floor of the car but it's not. everything is quick connect with 10 gauge connectors. all i have to do is unplug the antenna and a few connectors and i can carry the radio rack system inside. the radio and amp stay on the rack. it only takes a few minutes to put in or take out. it's actually a good idea if you decide to get a rack and they are cheap too. i had to do it this way because you just can't make the room any other way in a caliber. and it's a nice clean removable install.
President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic