President Base -Squealer

Just any other questions that you don't see a forum for? Go ahead and post here.
eddieb1965
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

President Base -Squealer

Post by eddieb1965 »

Just bought a President Zachary T. base for 20.00 It doesnt have the stock mic but it has upper and lower channels added where the phones jack used to be.It recieves great,but on transmit it has the weirdest squeal I have ever heard.I have tried another mic and played with mic gain, but its still there.You can hear the squeal in the radio and the transmitted squeal is 10 times worse,It will get a radio check a couple miles away though.I have an older tech close by,but not to sure of his work anymore.Does it sound simple to anyone?Did someone mess it up by putting in the extra channels? If anybody has any input, it would be great. Thanks Eddie
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Predident Base -Squealer

Post by MDYoungblood »

You might open the case and look to see if the old phone jack is shorting out the mic jack (some just tape them up and leave them inside), could of bounced around inside in transit. Did you check to make sure the mics that you tried were wire right for the radio?

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department

Post by 231 »

Mics that aren't wired properly can squeal too. Make sure your mic is wired properly. If it's a power mic, there is a battery in the mic...put a new one in and make sure it's turned down to maybe 30% for starters. Power mic batteries can often causes a squeal too if the battery isn't in perfect shape (especially D104's). Just a few ideas.

Good luck.

eddieb1965
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by eddieb1965 »

Will look inside today and look around for shorts.I tried a 4 pin mic off my Texas Ranger TRP Freedom model,would it be wired the same or is the president different? Thanks for the suggestions.
Rabbit Ears
Donor
Donor
Handle: Rabbit Ears
Call Sign: WW153
Antenna: Hygain Penetrator 500
Radio: RCI 2995DX CF

Post by Rabbit Ears »

The President Zachary T. as I remember, has a four-pin mic plugin. (it is a COBRA pinout). So try a good mic that fits a Cobra.
USA FOREVER
RCI 2995DX CF (PRIMARY BASE)
President HR2600 with Palomar TX-150 amp(backup base) *solar powered*
Turner Super Side Kick
RM Italy KL300P (A/B modded) in truck :twisted:
BIRD 43P
HY-GAIN SPT-500 antenna
eddieb1965
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Re: President Base -Squealer

Post by eddieb1965 »

I looked inside and found the phones jack taped up.It looked ok and wasnt shorting to anything.I will try a different mic than the ones I have now.It came with some no name power mic and I just tried my Texas Ranger mic that is a 4 pin also.If I turn the mic gain most all the way down I dont hear the squeal,I need to verify this isnt transmitting with my other radio.I will report what I find either with the mic or by taking it to someone. Thanks Eddie

Wednesday, 20 March 2013, 10:57 AM

I ended up taking it to the local tech,here is what he found.The RF voltage was 15.8 volts(he told me some of the internals were only good for max16 v),he turned it down.He also said a couple of cans were way out of adjustment(bad tune or alignment).It will still squeal a little with the mic gain up all the way and the amp mic over 4. I have it set with the mic gain at 3/4 and the mic at 3 on the mic itself.The tech is an older gentleman who does this for a living,but I dont think he will be able to do it much longer.He also only charged me 35.00. This turned out to be an excellent base radio for 55.00 total and not a scratch on it.Eddie