President Base -Squealer

Just any other questions that you don't see a forum for. Go ahead and post here.

Moderator: JR Moderator

eddieb1965
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Name: Eddie
Cell Phone: 217-371-9418

President Base -Squealer

Post by eddieb1965 » Wednesday, 13 March 2013, 15:49 PM

Just bought a President Zachary T. base for 20.00 It doesnt have the stock mic but it has upper and lower channels added where the phones jack used to be.It recieves great,but on transmit it has the weirdest squeal I have ever heard.I have tried another mic and played with mic gain, but its still there.You can hear the squeal in the radio and the transmitted squeal is 10 times worse,It will get a radio check a couple miles away though.I have an older tech close by,but not to sure of his work anymore.Does it sound simple to anyone?Did someone mess it up by putting in the extra channels? If anybody has any input, it would be great. Thanks Eddie

MDYoungblood
Logged in via: iPad
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Re: Predident Base -Squealer

Post by MDYoungblood » Wednesday, 13 March 2013, 22:16 PM

You might open the case and look to see if the old phone jack is shorting out the mic jack (some just tape them up and leave them inside), could of bounced around inside in transit. Did you check to make sure the mics that you tried were wire right for the radio?

3's

Greg
ImageImageImage

"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD Image WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld
Maxon HCB-40WX
Antennas
Avanti Sigma II
Homemade Full Wave Loop
Homemade 1/2 wave Dipole
Hustler 102" SS Whip and Hustler Ball Mount

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department

Site Admin
Site Admin
Radio: Uniden/Icom/Cobra
Referrals: 1

Post by 231 » Wednesday, 13 March 2013, 23:45 PM

Mics that aren't wired properly can squeal too. Make sure your mic is wired properly. If it's a power mic, there is a battery in the mic...put a new one in and make sure it's turned down to maybe 30% for starters. Power mic batteries can often causes a squeal too if the battery isn't in perfect shape (especially D104's). Just a few ideas.

Good luck.

eddieb1965
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by eddieb1965 » Thursday, 14 March 2013, 5:35 AM

Will look inside today and look around for shorts.I tried a 4 pin mic off my Texas Ranger TRP Freedom model,would it be wired the same or is the president different? Thanks for the suggestions.

Rabbit Ears
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Magnum 357DX
Antenna: Sirio 27 tornado
Name: Cliff

Post by Rabbit Ears » Thursday, 14 March 2013, 5:50 AM

The President Zachary T. as I remember, has a four-pin mic plugin. (it is a COBRA pinout). So try a good mic that fits a Cobra.
Read the Constitution.
FREEDOM and USA FOREVER
Magnum 357DX (primary base)
Magnum DeltaForce (camper radio)
President Grant DX four button (1983 model) PC-999 *in my truck*
President HR2510 (backup base) *solar powered*
K40 magmount
Microphones: Turner +3 *two of them* Turner Super Side Kick
RM Italy KL300P (A/B modded)
BIRD 43P
Sirio Tornado 27 5/8 wave antenna

eddieb1965
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Re: President Base -Squealer

Post by eddieb1965 » Friday, 15 March 2013, 14:55 PM

I looked inside and found the phones jack taped up.It looked ok and wasnt shorting to anything.I will try a different mic than the ones I have now.It came with some no name power mic and I just tried my Texas Ranger mic that is a 4 pin also.If I turn the mic gain most all the way down I dont hear the squeal,I need to verify this isnt transmitting with my other radio.I will report what I find either with the mic or by taking it to someone. Thanks Eddie

Wednesday, 20 March 2013, 10:57 AM

I ended up taking it to the local tech,here is what he found.The RF voltage was 15.8 volts(he told me some of the internals were only good for max16 v),he turned it down.He also said a couple of cans were way out of adjustment(bad tune or alignment).It will still squeal a little with the mic gain up all the way and the amp mic over 4. I have it set with the mic gain at 3/4 and the mic at 3 on the mic itself.The tech is an older gentleman who does this for a living,but I dont think he will be able to do it much longer.He also only charged me 35.00. This turned out to be an excellent base radio for 55.00 total and not a scratch on it.Eddie

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic